What's new

Blue-Underground announces its first titles for Blue Ray (1 Viewer)

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Personally, I'd like to see them release some Hammer titles on Blu-ray.
QUATERMASS AND THE PIT
THE DEVIL RIDES OUT
DRACULA-PRINCE OF DARKNESS

would be a nice start.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Does anyone know if any recent restoration work was done for City of the Living Dead? There is an upcoming Blu-ray release of this film but my enthusiasm for it will be diminished considerably if it turns out to be the same transfer currently available. This is a very grainy film already and won't translate well to 1080p if it isn't cleaned up a bit. Threre is supposed to be a great-looking Italian disc floating around but I'm not region-free (yet) so this won't benefit me besides I think Region 1 deserves a better presentation of this film. A new transfer and new extras would be a first day purchase for me.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The so-called "great looking" Italian DVD of CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD has been DNRed to hell and back, resulting in a pasty-looking image that barely resembles film. One thing Blu-ray has shown me is that, as a format, it handles grain a hell of a lot better than DVD can. Film grain on Blu-ray looks like organic film grain- on DVD it looks like nasty, clumpy noise.

Vincent

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Derek M Germano

Personally, I'd like to see them release some Hammer titles on Blu-ray.
QUATERMASS AND THE PIT
THE DEVIL RIDES OUT
DRACULA-PRINCE OF DARKNESS

would be a nice start.
Agree. Stop. Hammer time!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Seems like everyone is forgetting about Blue Underground these days but they finally announced a release for MANIAC, which will be a 2-disc set with all new extras and a new commentary track. They have a few other releases that have yet to be discussed here (still waiting for ZOMBIE though).
maniacbr-cover.jpg
Disc 1 Extras: • Audio Commentary #1 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Co-Producer Andrew W. Garroni • Audio Commentary #2 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig, Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Editor Lorenzo Marinelli, and Joe Spinell’s Assistant Luke Walter • Anna and the Killer – Interview with Star Caroline Munro • The Death Dealer – Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini • Dark Notes – Interview with Composer Jay Chattaway • Maniac Men – Interview with Songwriters Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky • Theatrical Trailers • TV Spots • Radio Spots Disc 2 Extras: • The Joe Spinell Story • MANIAC Publicity • MANIAC Controversy Video Specs: 1.85:1 1080p Audio Specs: 7.1 DTS-HD; 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX; Dolby Surround 2.0 Languages: English, French, Italian, German Optional Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español, Português, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai Suggested Retail Price: $29.98 Street Date: September 21st, 2010 VIGILANTE: Extras: • Audio Commentary #1 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Co-Producer Andrew W. Garroni • Audio Commentary #2 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Stars Robert Forster, Fred Williamson and Frank Pesce • Theatrical Trailers • TV Spots • Radio Spots • Promotional Reel • Still Gallery • Enhanced for D-Box Motion Control Systems Video Specs: 2.35:1 1080p Audio Specs: 7.1 DTS-HD; 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX; Original Mono Languages: English, French, German, Italian Optional Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español, Português Suggested Retail Price: $29.98 Street Date: September 21st, 2010

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update, Michael. Eventhough Maniac is a disturbing movie, it's also very powerful with a great performance from Spinell (and some great Tom Savini effects work too).

Slasher fans shouldn't forget that The Prowler is coming to Blu-ray in about a month.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've never been a fan of THE PROWLER so I'll probably pass on that one but I can't wait for MANIAC. It's not for everyone but I find it to be a mini-masterpiece. I might rent THE PROWLER though just to see how much Blu-ray would help such a low budget film like that one (haven't seen their CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD yet).

DEEP RED, INFERNO and CAT O'NINE TAILS are apparently coming next year.

I'm not sure who owns SUSPIRIA now but I watched an edited version that they have on FCM (and Netflix streaming) that makes the old Anchor Bay disc look poor. The Stereo soundtrack is also rather amazing so hopefully this will eventually come to Blu (uncut of course).

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

I am frothing at the mouth for The Prowler. For my money, it's easily one of the best slasher flicks ever produced (albeit with a sluggish middle).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm at work right now and can't get to the website to get the link but Fangoria has the story. Apparently Lustig announced them a couple weeks back. Of course, who knows about delays and all that good stuff.

I want an uncut TENEBRE but that appears to be a title no one can do right.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks Travis.

The 10-26 date isn't too bad as long as it gets to the house before Halloween.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks