What's new

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces) (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Matt, I remember that pic. That's more like it. I wonder why the studios seem to have problems matching up correct pics with the correct seasons of a show? Isn't the lower right pic from S3? I thnk the upper right pic is from S1's "Jamie's Mother".
Hey Jeff,

The main shot of Lindsay and the Richard Anderson shot are from S1's "Winning Is Everything", the top right is from S3's "Fembots in Las Vegas-Part I" and the lower right is from S3's "Bionic Dog-Part I".

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by RickER
The pic in the link looked at LITTLE bit like a Digi Book, not unlike the ones Warner loves, and i hate. Notice the crimp in the art with some shadows on the left side of the art. Crummy art, and a crummy Digi- Book, oh well.
The cover is scheduled to be printed with a "mylar" finish -- that shiny, metalic-looking style. Uni has used it before on shows like Knight Rider. As with "lenticular" covers, sample images can't accurately represent the look of the actual product.

The set was announced to include ThinPak inner cases (not sure how many), so there's a good chance Uni will screw up the art for those, too -- unless they simply utilize the same box art for each inner case (which is always so lazy).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattHR
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bionic-Woman-Season-1-Box-Art/14120

Uni has unveiled their cover (f)art for The Bionic Woman: Season 1. As expected, it's totally bogus...

For such an anticipated, what a lacklustre, generic looking box. Does Universal intentionally package most of their '70s/'80s shows in boxes with art that does nothing to capture the original feel or look of the show? I predict there'll be more than just a few fans out there making customs.

We can only hope that Time/Life will be doing their own art for their $6M Man set. It couldn't be any worse than what Universal would come up with.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney
can only hope that Time/Life will be doing their own art for their $6M Man set. It couldn't be any worse than what Universal would come up with.
Time Life's announcement stated deluxe lenticular "motion" graphics and sound-chip packaging. I have it on "good faith" that fans will be blown away by it. Too bad TL didn't license Bionic Woman for release, too. I'm hoping Uni gets the message about their crappy box design, scraps the whole thing and starts over.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
According to TSOD, Universal may be changing the box art. I have to say that it didn't bother me as much as it did some of you, but I of course saw room for improvement. I always thought that box art for a TV show should look like it was produced in whatever era the show came from.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
According to TSOD, Universal may be changing the box art. I have to say that it didn't bother me as much as it did some of you, but I of course saw room for improvement. I always thought that box art for a TV show should look like it was produced in whatever era the show came from.
I think what the TSOD article was driving at was that some of the key wording (like "Bionic Woman" and "Season One") was simply exaggerated (bigger/bolder than it normally would be) so it would still be readable at small sizes in newspaper ads, etc. I took that to mean the general composition was meant to be about the same, and that sound about par for the course, I think. Remember the very similar uninspiring design for Magnum P.I. that does nothing to convey the "look" of the show?

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Look for all of you carping about the poor box art for BW - - - -

We have waited HOW LONG for this series to be remastered and released and it is FINALLY coming out. NOW you wanna BI#(H about the box art????????

Good God! I am just happy that the complete seasons are coming out! I don't care if they are in plain brown wrappers as long as the video product looks good on my screen!!!!!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2

We have waited HOW LONG for this series to be remastered and released and it is FINALLY coming out. NOW you wanna BI#(H about the box art????????

Good God! I am just happy that the complete seasons are coming out! I don't care if they are in plain brown wrappers as long as the video product looks good on my screen!!!!!
But Thomas, gratitude is never a part of this hobby. Only whining and bi**hing. Plus, that's basically all the internet is used for anyway. LOL.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant

It's not the end of the world if they screw up the packaging, but it really does make
a fan wonder how the process works. The photos from the wrong seasons end up
on box art all the time. I suppose it demonstrates either a lack of interest or the
proper knowledge in getting it right.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by derosa

It's not the end of the world if they screw up the packaging, but it really does make
a fan wonder how the process works. The photos from the wrong seasons end up
on box art all the time. I suppose it demonstrates either a lack of interest or the
proper knowledge in getting it right.

The art department has a stack of photos from a particular TV show, which may or may not be labeled as to when they were taken. Mind you the art department creating these packages didn't work on the show 30 years ago. Many of them may have only seen an episode or two if at all. Honestly its unreasonable to expect them to know the show as well as a fan does, and know what season a particular photograph is from.

I suspect that even the producers of the show wouldn't know for sure exactly which episode a particular photograph came from. We are talking about a show where there were likely thousands of publicity photos taken.

Doug

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I personally don't care how they come packaged for myself, it just amazes me that for a show so long-awaited as this, and with all the thought and care that seems to have gone into the extras, for them to slap together such a silly design for the box. It certainly won't stand out on the store shelves (I doubt too many young people would be interested in this anyway, but it might be nice to make it a bit more recognisable so those of us geezers who can remember it--and might actually buy the thing--can notice it amongst all the other garbage).

No, a crappy box has never been a deal-breaker for me.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
The art department has a stack of photos from a particular TV show, which may or may not be labeled as to when they were taken. Mind you the art department creating these packages didn't work on the show 30 years ago. Many of them may have only seen an episode or two if at all. Honestly its unreasonable to expect them to know the show as well as a fan does, and know what season a particular photograph is from.

I suspect that even the producers of the show wouldn't know for sure exactly which episode a particular photograph came from. We are talking about a show where there were likely thousands of publicity photos taken.

Doug

It reminds me of the chuckle I get (and frustration sometimes too) when I go shopping, and quickly find out that I know more about the products in the store than the employees who work there. I suppose the humor in this example is again, all it takes is 5 seconds after posting the artwork, for the the producers of the show to have their errors pointed out to them! I guess it's the "wiki method" of checking any information is correctly done... maybe they should just hold off printing before they show some fans on the internet so it can give them a chance to fix it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

So...ummm...what else are you supposed to do on the internet?

Can i NOT be happy its coming, but still BITCH about the packaging and art?

At this point, the box art is all we have to complain about. :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
If it were a plain brown cardboard box, I would love it because of the bionic goodness it contains! /img/vbsmilies/htf/blush.gif

Doug

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It always goes the same way any time something is released:

1.) First we wait years and years for the title to be issued.

2.) When it gets released, people give their opinions on the box art and some fans say they don't like it.

3.) People start scolding those giving their negative impressions of the box art, saying "I don't care if they release the series in a brown paper bag as long as I get the show in DVD!!".

It's always the same routine, and it's getting annoying. SO WHAT if someone says he doesn't think the cover art is very appealing? It doesn't mean they're going to give up on the DVD set and not buy it just because they happen to feel the artwork is lacking. Why is it always treated as some kind of sin for anyone to "dare" to give his opinion as to whether box artwork is good, bad, or indifferent? It's all part of the overall presentation and it's perfectly ripe for criticism.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I didn't say it was wrong for someone to give their own opinion. I was simply stating my own.

Doug

MattHR

Screenwriter
Hey Universal, 15 minutes in PhotoShop...

0f82e873_BW1A.jpg

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Matt /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

I recognize these pics. Bottom pic is frrom "Jaime's Mother". I believe the top one is from "Wecome Home, Jaime." ,,,,or an early publicity shot. The outfit is the one she wore in that episode.

Nice!

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
So, I take it Canadians won't be able to buy the SMDM box set except from eBay or Amazon Marketplace at inflated prices. And if there are damaged discs (odds are there will be), tough luck.
I just can't justify buying an expensive box set with the probability of some of the discs in a damaged condition. And then there's the possibility or tight case spindle problems and disc extraction damage.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my European DVDs of SMDM then. As to BW, I have all 3 seasons on the European releases, and they're all excellent. It comes down, then, to the extras and the desirability of NTSC. Funny that I'm used to the PAL speed-up and don't notice it anymore.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Matt /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif I recognize these pics. Bottom pic is frrom "Jaime's Mother". I believe the top one is from "Wecome Home, Jaime." ,,,,or an early publicity shot. The outfit is the one she wore in that episode. Nice!
Hey Jeff,
You are correct about both photos. You advance to the next round of "Bionic Jeopardy"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks