BIC F12 or Lava LSP12?? Which would you choose, or have you chosen??

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by wmblalock, May 15, 2011.

1. wmblalock

wmblalock Auditioning

I've been doing some more research and I think I have narrowed my choices for a new sub down to these two.

I know there are lots of other people that have had to make this decision. Any advice as to which one I should get would be great!!

1. BIC F12, $187, 150watts, 5-year warranty

- I love the price and warranty. Seems to be a well tested, solid sub. At the $187 price, if I REALLY felt I needed more volume, I could add a second down the road (not that I really want to have to buy another...)

2. Lava LSP12, $284, 250watts, 5-year warranty

- I wanted to stay around $200, but for $100 more than the BIC I get 100watts more rms. Is it worth the extra $100? What I don't like is that if I felt I needed more volume later, it would be very hard for me to spend another $284 for a second one of these. How would this compare to two BIC F12s ($90 more)

My room is 15x20. I want this to hit hard for listening to a variety of loud music as well as rumble like crazy for blu-ray movies with my Onkyo 7.1 setup.

Please help me decide!!

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I never heard the Lava, but I love my F12. My room is 13' X 17'.

3. wmblalock

wmblalock Auditioning

How tight is the bass from the F12? I was looking at maybe getting two of these, but I really want something that "hits you in the chest" with clean bass while listening to music, not something muddy.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Hit you in the chest is not clean bass. That is the sign of a peak in the frequency response around the 50hz region. You can use a high inductance driver or put a sub in too small a cabinet and get that. You are usually sacrificing the low end for that chest feeling.