What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Bewitched Season 8? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I think people pay for the episodes, not the commercials.

Any extras are nice, but I wouldn't want it to increase the price of the set. I'm not willing to pay for them.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by LeoAmes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people pay for the episodes, not the commercials.
Any extras are nice, but I wouldn't want it to increase the price of the set. I'm not willing to pay for them.
Those of us old enough to have enjoyed "Bewitched" on ABC primetime would love to see the commercials again because it brings back fond memories of our childhood. I'd love to see the Chevy and Quaker Oats openings and closings as menu play options, similar to what I'm told we'll see on next week's Lucy Show -Season One."
"Nothing is better for thee than me!" -- Quaker Oats tag line circa 1964-5.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd certainly like to see them too and similar things in any DVD set, I just wouldn't want it to add $5-10$ to the price of a set.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I always said if I ran one of the original sponsor companies like Chevy, Quaker Oats, Kodak or Oscar Mayer (which are all still in business today), I would kick in a nominal fee to restore and remaster the the original sponsor openings and commercials for the dvds, and voila... built in advertising each time someone pops in an episode to watch! In this day of webisodes, downloads, on-line ads, etc. you need to think outside the box. Certainly, if I worked at Sony I would have approached the companies about doing this. A win-win for all involved.

Edited by JohnMor - 7/16/2009 at 09:24 pm GMT

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David*P /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
Anyway, I LOVE this set!! I'm so happy to FINALLY have all 254 episodes in my possession on DVD. I love that Sony included EM's intro on every episode along with the "Be Right Back" bumper.
The color and clarity on the few episodes I've watched so far is fantastic!
David,
Thanks for the early info on the video Q for S8. I'm way behind in viewing BW but getting there. I just watched the 1st ep in the S4 set today. I still remember that 1st "Dr Bombay" appearance in the last ep in the S3 set

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Some great S8 lines:
Serena's Youth Pill
SERENA: "Well the children where upstairs playing at the time and there wasn't anything else to do." /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif">
LOUISE: "I'm really worried about Larry. He's acting strangely.
SAMANTHA: "Oh, well they all do sometimes."

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnMor /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
Some great S8 lines:
Tabitha's First Day at School
MRS. PEABODY: "Class, this is Tabitha Stephens. Say 'Hello' to Tabitha. And this is Tabitha's mother, Mrs. Stephens. Say 'Goodbye' to Mrs. Stephens."

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JohnMor /forum/thread/283275/bewitched-season-8/210#post_3586031
Some great S8 lines:
Tabitha's First Day at School
MRS. PEABODY: "Class, this is Tabitha Stephens. Say 'Hello' to Tabitha. And this is Tabitha's mother, Mrs. Stephens. Say 'Goodbye' to Mrs. Stephens." /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

They also used this line in season 5 when Tabitha started preschool. The same actress played the teacher, too!

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
Play.com apparently lists season 8 Region 2 as being due for release on November.2nd, 2009 so it is going to be a while over there, but at least now you can set your anticipation dials.
The same day a complete set of all 8 seasons is supposed to be released for 99 pounds.
Larry Tate
happy.gif

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Good News for all of you who are Liz Montgomery fans: Christina Applegate who played Kelly Bundy on Married with Children is doing a film about our lady Liz called "Everything Is Going to Be Just Fine" in which she will playing her. The film is due out in 2010 and her mother Nancy Priddy did play several characters on BW most notably in Season 7 she was a flight attendant. The film is in production now!!

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
In watching Season 8, which I hadn't seen the episodes in ages, I noticed a brand new necklace with the letter "S". Was that a gift from someone or just part of the wardrobe? It reminds me of the heart necklace which was special to her through season 6 I believe. Wasn't it true that her and Mr. Asher were on the rocks during the last season? I thought it may have been a gift from someone??

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
The heart shaped necklace was given to Elizabeth Montgomery by her husband Bill Asher
before the pilot was filmed, she wore it until the second to last episode of season 6 & thereafter
stopped wearing it & rumor hath it that she gave both copies she had away to members of the crew.

From this point onwards she wore a S for Samantha necklace (i don't believe it was a gift, just a prop) or a choker, the reason for the change?............again rumor hath it that the love that led to the gift was no more due to Bill Asher's roving eye.

Larry Tate :)

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
You know many had said Liz's energy wasn't that high during Season 8, and I have to disagree. This was the first time that I have seen all the episodes in ages.. I think it's where the times were changing and after all she and Darrin had now been married almost 9 years and Now that I have all the seasons, I think seasons 7 and 8 are far the best. I am glad Sam isn't playing lil ole housewife and now stands up and says her mind!! I think she played Samantha very well and it was nice to see Sam evolve over the almost 9 years. Aside from some of the remakes, season 8 is awesome! :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mike, I always said the same thing about how Samantha had grown when I defended S8. She was not the same as she had been in 1964. 8 years of Darrin vs Endora, plus motherhood shows.
I think S8 is vast improvement over S7, except for a few dogs here and there. The main thing about Liz's performances in S8 that I feel really shows she was at the end of her rope with the show and character was she mugged so cheaply throughout S8, especially on fade outs.
And the speed with which they finished the eps (3 days usually during S8) really shows. The coverage shot isn't nearly as plentiful or well-thought out this season. Especially with some of the Serena eps. They really took some shortcuts this season instead of shooting all the coverage they used to. Plus the lighting was cheaply and quickly done as well. They lit and shot very flat this year in order to finish the shows in such short time to minimize setups.
But to me, ep by ep, S8 is still more enjoyable the S7. It has a looser more fun feel than that season did.

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I Love Season 8 and have you noticed... Endora, Maurice nor Serena once turned Darrin into any sort of animal this season... so I think by this time they were just getting more used to Darrin because after almost 9 years of marriage Darrin had to grow on them some... I am just glad that Liz aka Sam was more independent.... you know if they did a Season 9, I think Samantha getting a career would have been wonderful...maybe doing something that her character enjoyed...now that would have been great... and since season 7 has anyone noticed that Larry was starting to catch on?? I think by the last two seasons he knew something...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I've always been a big defender of Season 8. I really think Liz's performances as Serena this year were the best.

One thing that's always bugged me though was how cheaply they did the Europe eps. I mean, come on, there are backlot streets all over LA that could pass for European locales, but for 3 CONSECUTIVE weeks they redressed the recently cancelled Flying Nun's home. The former Convent San Tanco was Hampton Court, the inn at Inverness and the town square in Pisa. It's one thing to use the same set and spread it throughout the season, but to use the same set for 3 different places 3 consecutive weeks in a row looks REALLY cheap. At least the Tower of London/Rome Museum set was spaced out 3 weeks. I found it laughable as a kid when they first aired, but seeing them on DVD back-to-back only makes it worse.

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I agree with you on the Europe sets for instance you can tell the street of Rome was in another Europe episode. They could have done that much better, but I did like them but 4/5 stars go to the first two the rest are funny in their own way :)

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Do you know if any of Liz's early movies like "The Victim", "Lizzie Borden", "A Case of Rape" are on DVD? I watched two of them on you tube, but would love to have them on DVD.... You know it would be nice if they released a bunch of her 70s films on DVD!! I really think the 70s episodes are my favourite by far from Bewitched. Herbie J. Pilato stated that if Liz decided not to come back it would have run a few more seasons... I could see it running up to 1974, but I would say they would have had to cut back Endora because of her cancer... Some say she looks bad in the last season, but I don't think she does... I would say if season 9 were filmed then we would have seen that... so it may have been a blessing ending with 8. And Agnes did do several more things before she passed away April 30, 1974. I think her last thing was the voice with Charlottes Web which came out in 1973.... She was a tough cookie from what I read...does anyone know what happened to her adopted son?

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I forgot in the last post to tell you guys that they are offering the Dick Sargent Years on www.amazon.com (Seasons 6-8) for $75.97 which is roughly $25 each a good deal!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks