What's new

Better Toslink Cable? (1 Viewer)

Jared W V

Auditioning
What is a better toslink cable: a AR Master Series Fiber Optic Toslink or a AQ Optilink 2? FYI, I can get the AQ cable for about $13.00 less.
Thanks for all those who help!
Jared :D

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Jared,
The AR Master series optical cable may not give you any better sound than the AR Pro series optical cable. The Pro cable is still well constructed and doesn't easily slip out of the jacks on the back of your components. www.accessories4less.com usually has the Pro's pretty cheap.
Just a thought.
Regards,
Mike

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Now this is an interesting place for Toslink!
http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_patchcords.htm
They carry an 'armored full metal jacket' line of cables ranging in price from $13.20 for 1 meter to $93.50 for 20 meters. They state that one can walk on the armored toslinks. Pretty impressive to me! Supposedly lengths up to 50 meters are available. 2 day shipping, and if under a pound, its only $3.95. Sounds pretty good to me! They may make glass also, but I didn't see it on the website.
I see that www.wireworldaudio.com has glass toslink retailing $100 for 1 meter. No specs regarding optical loss.
The AES, in Proposed Draft AES32-TU addresses Fibre optic connectors. They propose that plastic is acceptable for lengths up to 5 meters in professional audio interconnections. I believe you can find this on the web.
Mr Austin is quite correct in stating that glass is a superior cable, but it would appear only to be a factor in lengths exceeding 5 meters. In a general way one can state that the attenuation loss for glass is about 2 orders of magnitude better than plastic and there is less jitter in glass than in plastic. While I've not extensively researched this, I'd hazzard to say once one removes the term audio from the cable, even the glass cable is likely to drop significantly in price.

John Royster

Screenwriter
once one removes the term audio from the cable, even the glass cable is likely to drop significantly in price.
bwahahahaa. True, True.
I get AMP and siecor fiber cables for 20-50 bucks for 3-10 meter lengths.
Of course those don't have the gold plated connectors for superior sound dynamics.:D Gold plated optics. bwahahahahhaha.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
John, if you have any links for inexpensive glass cables, could you please post them along with prices?

John Royster

Screenwriter
I generally buy in bulk from telecom distributors. Call my account rep up and say "gimme 50 3meter mutilmode fiber patch cables, ST-ST and 50 micron." I'll try to find specific sites with product numbers.

I'm still trying to work out a way to make my own fiber cables for audio, I've got the tools to do it and the test gear as well (OTDR). I've still been meaning to test some of the consumer audio brands but having trouble finding some TOSlink to ST cables. Why they felt the need to invent a poor fiber junction like TosLink and not stick with tried and true ST or SC connectors is beyond me.

Give me a while, pretty busy today. Chu, have you seen any ANSI or TIA specs for TosLink and the plastic they use in consumer audio?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Why John, the answer is obvious! For the same reason we're saddled with RCA plugs! You know, I once read a spirited debate on RCA cables. As you well know, the prices on these can be quite dear. It was summed up rather nicely to my mind by the statement which i paraphrase "the rca connector is a turd, and if you wrap it in gold, its just a gold covered turd"
I'll look into your other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks