What's new

Best upconversion on a 50"+ 1080p RPTV. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
Steered my parents to buy a Samsung DLP HL-S5087W. Having now spent some time with the unit, I find I have no problem with the lamp-based DLP technology. The Rainbow Effect is there, but I'm used to it and it's not an issue. I like the TV just fine otherwise.

That is, if it weren't for the poor upscaling from SD DVD coming from the Samsung DVD-HD960 upconverting DVD Player. I've tried bypassing the player's Faroudja processor, letting the DLP do the scaling. No better, as I was advised would be the case in a previous thread.

So, it looks like Samsung is out of the running for the TV I'm currently looking to buy for my own apartment. Can anyone recommend another DLP manufacturer (Mitsubishi, Toshiba) for their built-in processing? Or am I better off with RP LCD/LCoS (Sony, I suppose)?

If only Samsung would let the player do the upconverting without introducing macroblocking, I'd simply buy the Toshiba HD-A20 and be done with it. I've been told that no matter what you hook up the Samsung to, it will still display objectionable macroblocking on SD sources. Can anyone refute this? Again, if that could be eliminated with the Toshiba HD player, I'd stick with the Samsung DLP.

SeanA

Second Unit

Sorry... I can only confirm this problem with Samsung DLPs. My Samsung has it and every other Samsung I have seen has it as well. Based on my experience with my Samsung, I helped my parents pick out a Sony SXRD. I would not sleep well if I had steered them to a Sammy and the macro-blocking monster !!!

I feel bad for your parents. Do they still have time to return the TV for a full refund ?

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell

They don't even see it, trust me. And I've pointed it out. They've basically acted as guinea pigs for my eventual purchase, and they're ok with that. ;)

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
Oh, and Sean - actually it was your comment on the other thread that I was alluding to in the first place, so you're in the unusual position of confirming your own assertion!

Can anyone else weigh in, yay or nay?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
DLPs, regardless of brand, don't play well with Faroudja-based upscaling players (it's a particular Faroudja chipset). I've read at AVSForum that people have had great success with Oppo Digital's non-Faroudja upscaling DVD player (DV-970HD), which is a steal at $150.

That said, I have a 50-inch Sony SXRD and the picture could not be better. I much prefer it to DLP (although I haven't seen the new Samsung 1080p LED DLPs). The built-in upscaling in the SXRDs is excellent, but mine is mated with an Oppo DV-981HD (which does have the Faroudja chipset). DVDs look damned close to HD.

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
The Toshiba HD-A20 is my most likely purchase, as I want HD and hear great things about the upconversion. Apparently the unit doesn't have a 'zoom' function for 4:3 letterbox DVDs, which coupled with the Samsung DLP's lack of same (it only 'stretch-zooms'), may be another reason to look elsewhere for my TV.

Ken, does your SXRD perform a straight zoom?

Testpattern

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
I have the 55 SXRD and the Oppo 981 HD. Agree with your comments totally Ken. Excellent match.....

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
How is the zoom on the SXRD? does it crop off the sides of the image at all? And will it still work with HDMI-delivered content? It turns out the Samsung *does* have 'Zoom 1' and 'Zoom 2' settings, but they're not selectable in HDMI 1 or 2...

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
Awesome - SXRD is looking more and more like the purchase...

Oh, and I'm probably going for the Toshiba HD-XA2 over the HD-A20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks