What's new

Best Terrestrial Receiver ??? (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I have been away for awhile, but with the duldrums of winter setting in I am getting the itch to upgrade. So I am wondering if there is a consensus on the best digital receiver for over-the-air reception ??? Are there any new models that out-shine the rest ? I currently have a Samsung SIR-T151, but would like to upgrade if there are new receivers available with significantly better sensitivity. I also want a DVI input which the T151 does not have.

SeanA

Second Unit
Looks like I may have to answer my own question. I think I will be purchasing a Samsung SIR-T451. If I do, I will report back on whether or not it out-performs the SIR-T151. Right now, I can usually pick up all the digital broadcasts in my area except for one or two stations, and with just an indoor antenna. The only one I have never been able to pick up is the local Fox station and that's because they put out a very weak signal.

I am surprised that over-the-air receivers are not more popular. It is free HDTV, and with the rates charged by cable and satellite companies, I would think more people would take advantage of the air waves.

SeanA

Second Unit
I did order the SIR-T451, but the first unit I received was defective. Running with component video cables, I was getting a neon yellow polka dot effect on all images. It was most noticeable with SD, but definitely visible in HD as well. I returned the unit to Circuit City, and decided to try one more time. I just received and set up the second unit, and lo and behold, NO polka dots. The SD and HD images look just as good as with my SIR-T151.

The amazing thing is how much smaller the T451 is compared to the T151. It is considerably smaller in both physical size and weight. It also must NOT generate near the same amount of heat as the T151 because it has significantly less venting. There are some small slits on the side of the T451, but no venting on the top surface. The T151 is vented on its entire top surface, and gave off about the same amount of heat as my A/V receiver. I can only assume that the technology is significantly different.

I am not sure yet if the T451 is more sensitive than the T151, but I am able to pull in all of the same local stations as I could with the T151. The programming and menus are nearly identical with perhaps a bit more modern feel to the T451. The program guide for the T451 has a neat preview window (kind of a PIP) that the T151 did not have. So far, I am happy with the T451 and find it to be a great deal at $250 (only $200 if you consider the $50 Visa gift card through Circuit City). I am hoping some day soon to hook the T451 up to a DLP set via DVI. The DVI connection was the main reason for my purchase of the T451. I may even try the DVI connection with my Sony Wega CRT, but not sure this would provide any benefit. Just seems that the longer you can keep the data stream digital, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks