What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best rears for NHT 3.3/AC2 front? (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I have NHT 3.3 mains, AC2 center, 1.5 sides, and superzero rear centers. I would love to go with 2.9 sides/rears (and even go back to 5.1), but I just can't place that deep a tower speaker in my current room. So, I am thinking about getting either a pair of VR3s or a pair of AC2s (placed vertically) to replace the 1.5s. What do you guys think? I know the AC2 is the better match, but I'm not sure the dispersion would be ideal (placed as a vertical rear speaker). How close are the drivers in the VR3s to the 3.3s?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Yeah, one of guys there and I were debating this (we both have 3.3s and AC2) and hoping that an NHT tech would answer the thread.

Finally, today, another forum member posted this:

"I e-mailed NHT about using AC2's vertically as the main speakers in a home theater and I was told they were designed to be positioned horizontally. I was told vertical positioning would cause dispersion problems or something like that."

Looks like I should either get VR3s, or just stick with my 1.5s.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I did notice another thread where a guy with 3.3's was contemplating the 2.3 model for rears. Maybe you need to sell your speakers Ricky and get that smokin deal on the M5's at audiogon.... :D

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
That guy seems to have used VR3s, AC2s, and currently 2.3 towers for rears. Makes sense that he would just go with 2.9 towers for rears!

When my local 6th Ave Electronics chain was closing out their NHTs, I picked up two floor model M5s for 199 each (to try them). I went back and forth, the M5s sound really good (not bright at all, super smooth), but still prefer my 3.3s for 2 channel..better holographic soundstage. Those two M5s are now John Tompkin's rear centers (he has seven M5s and is one happy camper).

Plus, now that I have Aragon Palladium IIs driving them, the 3.3s sound even better. And Palladiums on bookshelfs would be a waste :)

Charles,

Maybe you should sell your NHTs and get that great deal. You'd get 5 identical speakers (each driven by one 200 watt sherbourn channel), more bass up front (newer 12inch woofers vs 10inchers in VT2s).

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Ricky, I have a SVS PB2-ISD sub now, so really, any other sub/woofer is not needed. I still use the VT2's full range for 2 channel (in direct mode on the soundstage) and have the ability to do whatever I feel like doing with 6 channel music (Outlaw ICBM). I kind of have the ultimate flexibility right now. My next upgrade (there is ALWAYS that NEXT upgrade LOL) would probably be my turntable rig but it will have to wait till christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks