What's new

Best Main and Center bookshelfs, with front ported, or sealed center for ~$400 (1 Viewer)

Ray Nist

Agent
Am looking to upgrade my second systems front soundstage. They center must be front ported, or sealed as it will be in an enclosed space in my entertainment center. So far I have been looking at the following (prices from Brandnamez.com):

Klipsch

Main SB2 ($239)
Center SC1 ($159)

PSB

Main 1B ($209)
Center 8C ($209)

NHT

Main Super Zero ($?)
Center SC-1 ($?)

Anyone have any other suggestions? Remember the $400 budget and the need for a sealed or front ported center.

Thanks
Ray Nist

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Ray, Dahlquist makes speakers with a nicely balanced sound. I have them in a 7.1 system and have been very pleased.

If you don't mind seconds, the Dahlquist QX4 bookshelves and the small center would probably fit you bill for under $350. Don't be deceived by the low price, Dahlquist speakers are an exceptional value. Their sound is a successfuly compromise between the laid-back sound of the B&W 600 series and the brighter Pardigm Studio series.

Marc at: audioshop.on.ca is the on-line dealer for Dahlquist.

I have not actually heard the smaller QX4's, but my surrounds appear to be similar in components when played in direct mode. I think the QX4's should have a very pleasing sound.

Good Luck!

Peter_J_B

Agent
Just chiming in here, since you suggested Dahlquist. I don't know how the guy on audioshop.on.ca gets his pricing, but I'd be surprised if he's doing much business. I can go to 2001audiovideo.com and they beat him by a significant dollar amount on every single product I can compare. Which are the Dahlquist and Mission speakers. Just on the QX4s 2001 is $50 cheaper a pair, 219.99 vs 270.

I dunno, maybe you have to talk to this guy before he gives you a deal. But 2001 is all over the place, no need to pay high prices, shipping, and the hassle of potential shipping damage, and return issues if there are defects.

Marc H

Second Unit
Paul,
You're right, the QX6 is rear ported but the QX4 is a sealed box design. Very conducive to wall mounting and threaded on the back to take brackets.

Leon, Thanks for the reference and for your business!

The QX4 are a real charm for their size and still uses the cloth suspension, aluminum dome tweeter as the pricier models. I give them kudos for using high quality drivers in their entry level speakers. Most companies use lesser quality drivers in their lower priced gear.

Peter, Thanks for the head's up on the competition but I did check them and our prices are lower on all the Dahlquist models but one model which was the same. Our price has been $200.00CAN/pr on the QX4 for several months now. Dahlquist has been our top selling brand for about a year now.
Their Mission prices are good because they are clearing out the old series. Ours are the new 70i series which have improved crossovers and cabinet bracing. I am negotiable on the new Mission prices too; I just can't print anything but list prices on the internet though to keep the supplier happy.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Marc, I'm still considering a pair of smaller speakers to be wall mounted. I'd probably use a mount like the Panavise that puts them a few inches from the wall. What would you recommend the QX5, QX4 or anything else that would perform well on the wall? Can you sell Mission on-line?

Eventually, I will probably add a modest sub. I'm thinking that if the wall mounted speakers are receiving only 60-80hz and up, then the rear port will not be as much of an issue.

Also, how is the quality of the high level input crossovers in subs like the Dahlquists? Would I eventually want/need to upgrade to components that perform better bass management?

Peter_J_B

Agent
Peter, Thanks for the head's up on the competition but I did check them and our prices are lower on all the Dahlquist models but one model which was the same. Our price has been $200.00CAN/pr on the QX4 for several months now. Dahlquist has been our top selling brand for about a year now
Hi Marc, thanks for clearing this up. So are you saying that 200 canadian is for new qx4s? Since this is the factory seconds price on your site if I recall. Just curious as in the semi-near future I will be requiring a 5.1 setup, and I may contact you for better pricing if what is published on your site is just list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks