What's new

Best DVD with built-in decoder (1 Viewer)

Mike Newt

Auditioning
I have a system that has only amplifiers for 5.1 speakers. There is no decoder in the amp. What is the best DVD player that has a decoder built-in?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I use a Technicd DVD-A10 for that purpose. If you need progressive scan the ubiquitous Panasonic RP-91 would be my recommendation. If not, they have a lower price model (60 I think) available at J&R and some other mail order places that will fit the bill.

I think that any DVD-Audio equipped machine or Sony's multichannel SACD machines would be equipped the way you need.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I dont have any suggestions for a good one, but my vote would be for not-Toshiba. I have an SD-2200 that I used the decoder in for 2 years before I got a DD recevier, and the bass management sucks. Actually, its non existant. If you set the speakers to small, rather than routing the low info to the sub, it just drops it. It throws it away. So no matter what you do, only the LFE goes to the sub. Extensive testing which I wont go into here confirmed this for me.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Charles,
Thats an interesting point you bring up about the Toshi...:thumbsdown:
What did you do, well aside from being pissed as I would be, to try to make this work?
Thats alot of bass material being lost. Would running the sub alot hotter help compensate? Did you try this band-aid aproach, or come up with something to get you by till you upgraded your receiver or processer?
Whats the crossover cut at for the bass management on the Toshi you had?
And do all the (newer and older) Toshi players decoders *bass managment* function this way?
Thanks
Geoff

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
There are two Sonys in their catalogue. One is the NC650V (same as 600 with extra stuff, incl. SACD and Dolby plus DTS decoders. It's a 5-disc changer, $700. CAD. I love the 600. The Instant Replay is great! The thing will play ANY disc and is fairly smooth in x2 speeds, forward and reverse. It has a pile of other features, too.

The NS900V is $1500. CAD (it's a tank) with even more stuff.

Oh, and each comes with an S-video cable. Please let me know if it's a really good cable. You might feel better if you get a $100. cable thrown in.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I just ran everything large, since the cuttoff was 120Hz on the DVD players decoder. I didnt run any risk of damaging any of my speakers, but they also couldnt produce those low frequencies. It was a less-than-ideal solution, but it also got my into DD at a decent price.

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I just got a JVC 70bk and I love it. It has built in decoders and I am very VERY happy with it. I am new to the DVD world and have little experience with the machines but I have read many positive things on this site and home theater spot. If you want multi-disc capability check out the 90bk. This player also does mp3 playback as well as DVD-audio. Many of the JVCs have a problem with "forced" subtitles such as on phantom menace - they don't display.

The 70 is a progressive player.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Wow, 120 thats really waco.... I wonder how many of the other brands suffer from this very ~{Bad bass managment}~??
Also, are thier settings for bass freq crossover this high?
Anyone have input on the freq cossover on other brands decoders, and how they handel it? Re-route hopefully or throw away as the Toshi dose.
Dose any of them allow you to set the crossover selection frequency,60 80 100 120?
I remember reading in one of the Mags quite some time ago (2 maybe 3) years ago, that they found that the quailty of the Toshi's decoders where quite good but dont remember reading anything about them throwing that bass away when setting to small for you speaks. Seems this would be important information that they should have or would have wrote about.
Strange!

Mike Newt

Auditioning
Thanks to all for your help. I had performed some searches and found the Panasonic DVD-RA60K, Sony DVP-NS400P, and the Toshiba SD5700. Sounds like the Toshiba will fall out. I don't really need progressive scan since the TV is a low end model. I will probably upgrade my speakers and A/V amp before going to HDTV where progressive scan would be utilized properly.

Now to add these new contenders to the list. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks