What's new

Best deal on PC w/ LCD monitor (1 Viewer)

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a "student" PC. Minimums: 2GHz processor, 128 MB ram, 20 Gig HD, CD-burner, 56K modem, Windows XP and at least a 15" LCD monitor. I want a "name brand" PC/monitor. I don't want to spend much more than $500. Possible?

Thanks!!!!

Roy C.

Second Unit
Try Dell! Actually, go to the Deals page and you might find something there...

Good luck,

Roy C.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
You can get a decent deal from Dell, but to get a name LCD monitor included for that price is doubtful. A good LCD is going to be at least $250 for a Viewsonic bottom end. I don't know much about other LCDs. So even at $200 for an LCD is pushing it. With a 17" CRT, $500 is doable; you may have to settle for a Celeron P4 though. I would do at least 40-80G for your hard drive with XP and apps, unless you plan to have an extra drive for data (pics, movies, etc).

Do check the deal pages. If you are handy with doing your own hardware upgrades/installs, cut down on some upgrades from Dell and get them yourself with the Sunday ads. Eg, many CD-RWs for $10 after rebate, 512M for ~$30 after rebate, etc. Or check newegg.com for upgrades, like if you need a floppy, it's $20 from Dell to add on.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
You can get everything you want at that price, with a 17" monitor! The only caveat is the monitor is going to be CRT-based at that price point.

You might want to re-consider the LCD monitor, or increase your budget by $200.00. (Or wait a few months, if you can.)

Here's an example at Wal-Mart online of a Compaq System that meets your criteria (except you get a 17" CRT monitor in lieu of a 15" LCD):

Click Here

(If you can't get the link to work, it's a Compaq Presario S4020WM-B Athlon XP 2400+ PC With 17" CRT Monitor for $498.00. You can probably get this over-the-counter at any Wal-Mart Superstore.)

You *can* get close to the cost/configuration that meets your needs in a Linux-based "Lindows" system; but there are software compatibility issues to be considered with that kind of a system. (Although it's not as much of an issue now as it was a year ago.)

Good Luck!

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
Don't have all the specs now, but we got bascially want we wanted from BestBuy for right at $600 with $150 rebates from Compaq and $150 rebates from BestBuy. It comes with a 15" LCD (that was a MUST!). It's a Compaq system with a Celeron 2.3(?)CPU, over 500MB of Ram and 40x CD-R and about 40G HD. I tried Dell, but they want $100 for shipping which ruins the deal! The Compaq we ordered is basically the same as the Dell we were going to get, but it is at least $50 cheaper!

thanks

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Several weeks ago, Dell was giving away a Free 15" LCD when you bought one of their Dimension systems. They may be redoing that promotion sometime soon. With the computer and monitor it was like $475 after $100 MIR.

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
Last week Dell had the "free LCD upgrade". We built the cheapest computer they had with a CD-burner and it was around $550 + $100 shipping.

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
Dell has free shipping and free CD-burner upgrade right now (about $150 value I'd guess). I just built the cheapest PC they sell (2400 with a 2.2 Celeron) and added a 3.5" foppy drive and 15" LCD monitor. Total was $679/shipped. I'm getting basically the same thing from BestBuy for about $70 less :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks