What's new

Best Bookshelf under 1000 (1 Viewer)

Geoff_R

Grip
I am currently about to buy a new pair of bookshelf speakers (and matching center)and wondering what would be my best deal. I have seen and heard Paradigm Studio 20's and Polk Audio LSI 7's. I was wondering what your opinion on these two speakers are. I also heard about Mirage OmniSat's that they had but weren't set up yet. If anyone knows any other bookshelf speakers from Mirage please let me know. I also wondered if I should save a little more money and look elsewhere at some speakers like a pair of B&W CDM 1NT's. I know that there is no where in the area that sells them so I wouldn't be able to hear them. I am even having trouble finding a website that I could purchase them from. I am open to other suggestions. Just please let me know if you have anything that would help me make up my mind.

Thanks,
Geoff

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff,
not to make it more complicated, but you might also check out the following also:

Dynaudio 52
Totem Mite, and maybe the one above it

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The $ensible Sound's picks are Ascend Acoustics 170s($350) and NHT M6 "Evolution"($1200). Both are best when used with a sub. The reviewer says the NHTs are only needed if you have a big room and/or are a perfectionist. The NHTs..."can play louder then the Ascend units and they are a bit flatter in terms of their measured midrange and treble frequency room response. That makes them worth the extra cost if your room is big and you are a perfectionist."

This is from the staff picks for 2002(issue 94). I don't know if that means the picks are only from what was reviewed in 2002 or not.

If your are open to used then audiogon.com will give you lots of options.

I don't have experience with the speakers you list but my Ascend 170s are clearly better to me than my Paradigm Mini-Monitors.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I've heard the LSi7s, had the LSi9s in my house for a week, and finally ended up with the LSi15s (long story short, I didn't like how the LSi9s on speaker stands looked next to my 57" Sony)

When I get around to adding a music only system I'm anticipating going with a full set of LSi9s since they're my favorite for the price seeing as I'll just toss in a subwoofer to round out the bass.

I'd expect you can get a pair of 9's for about 1 grand, too bad they're not designed to be wall mounted like the 7s.

Thanks just my 2 cents, of course listen to all you can and buy what you think sounds the best to you :)

Brian

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Have you taken a look at the Onix Rockets RS250's? They have a very dynamic presence and large soundstage for a bookshelf speaker. They incorporate the highly regarded Vifa ring radiator tweeter for high frequencies, and have tight, accurate bass extension.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
I have LSi9's. They're pretty decent. I dont think I'd pay 1k for them though. You can get them online for $619
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/i...bCatID=32&p=bg

I didn't get mine there, but you can find them online for under 650 without looking too hard.

As for wall mounting them...... They're really heavy. I'm not sure you'd want to have that hanging on the drywall and finding the studs for a stronger mount point would limit your options. Also they sound crap against the walls, so you wouldn't want to even if you could. You'll want to stand mount them, or maybe a shelf that sticks out kinda far. (Mine like to be at least a foot from the back wall)

For about 1K commercial, I liked the Vienna Acoustics bookshelf model. Not sure I'm a fan of the look, but the sound was very easy to listen to.

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index...entPage=family

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Oh. if you dont mind non-commercial, you could get a pair of 1801's made and shipped for under 1k.

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125773_1594crx.aspx

Daves attbi site seems to be having trouble.

If you want to go cheaper, the GR-Research (www.gr-research.com)AV series seems to be very nice. I'm working on the criterion kit personally. But since you probably don't want to diy, Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio has built kits that look really nice. Link Removed You could get a pair of av1+'s from him for $900 that would probably give everything else in that price range a good run for their money too.

george king

Supporting Actor
I'll second Brian and the GR Research speakers. I just built (and posted a review of the A/V-1s in this section). The A/V-1+s are supposedly better. Brian is a great guy to deal with and the support and customer service are great. If you go this route, get the Sonicaps upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Walt and George,

Thanks for the kind words. There should be a review out soon of the A/V-1's. It's my understanding that the reviewer compared them to some $2K+ Dynaudio's and found the differences to be very subtle.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
mint condition Matrix 805s go for $500-$600. unbelievable value for money.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If I had $1000, I would buy the box and drivers for $950 and assemble some GR-Research Criterions.

You may think of it as a risk, but I have a feeling they should sound better than the commercial brands listed above.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Quad has some stuff under $1k that you could try out....

Meadowlark has a new piece that is about 800 that should be worth a listening.

vienna acoustics has the haydens right around 1k

boston acoustics has the vr60's or whatever at around 1k

I think the B&W CDM bookshelf is around 1k, the 602 (a large bookshelf) is $600 i think...

Rich

george king

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I almost suggested going the Criterion route, but if you read the post, he wants a pair of fronts and a center. It is my understanding that the Criterion is not shielded, and thus is not a good candidate for HT (unless one has a FP).

I have to admit, my A/V-1s keep sounding better. Danny has certainly made some great speakers.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
George: Where did you see center. He just said pair of bookshelf.

Chris: At this time, I would not suggest getting the cabinet flat pack for the criterions from creative sound. I went that route. Everything from GR came in great shape, very quickly, and Danny has been really great to work with. The flat pack kit took a month and a half to arrive, some of the panels were ding'd from inadequate packing, and 2 national mail carriers, and the baffles were made incorrectly. I ordered just before xmas. The box from gr came right after x-mas. The flat kit came last friday. They sent out a replacement baffle before the kit arrived when they found out they were made wrong, and I'm still waiting for the replacement pieces. Bob at creative sound is trying to make things right. It's just taking a long time. I think I was maybe the first person to order the criterions, and as such might be having more probs than I should, and maybe down the road when they have everything worked out, it will be great, but from what I see right now, I cant recommend getting the flat kit from CCS. The kit from GR is great. Nice and simple. Clear diagrams, pictures, etc. If you wanted to do the criterions, but dont want to make the cabinet yourself, once again, I'd have to point you to Brian and Rutledge. If I don't get the pieces today, I'm going to have Brian make the cabinets for me.

One more thing. If you're not going to make them yourself, there's an issue with the raven face plate. The faceplate has to be cut so that it can sit that close to the woofer. Normally this part happens when you make the baffle by doing the tweet first, and then cutting the faceplate with the router when you do the woofer hole. If you buy a flat pack, you need to find another way to cut the face plate. If you have Brian do it, he can cut the faceplate when the baffle is being made. The only reason I am mentioning this is that if you're buying the kit, it's likely that you dont want to get too involved with tools, but you might have to anyway because of the tweeter face plate.

george king

Supporting Actor
Walt,

In the first line he said

I am currently about to buy a new pair of bookshelf speakers (and matching center)
Unquote

Also, I think that I read over at HD or AA that there was going to be a price increase on the 1801's. However, more importantly, I think someone said that the wait on these were almost a year since there is such a high demand for them.

Geoff_R

Unless you have good woodworking skills, have Brian build the cabinents. I bought my cabinets from Brian unfinished (raw MDF), and then finished them myself. The craftmanship (notice I did not say workmanship - because a true craftsman made them) was top notch. I could never have done it. However, if you go to Brian's web page you will clearly see that if you have him make your speakers you will get something that is furniture grade, and something that no wife would complain about.

Hope this helps.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
My vote is for the EFE Technologies T-22. These are manufacured by Ed Frias. Cost is $990.00 a pair. Definitely a step above everything mentioned above. You can read the reviews at audioreview.com.

Randy G

Second Unit
Brian,

Speakers in faux marble??? Never thought about that. Sounds like a great idea!

My suggestions for sub $1k speakers:

GR AV-1s or AV-1+(customizable)
ACI Emerald
Von Schweikert VR-1s

all shielded, all 12" height max.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks