Behold, the power of Atari's 2600!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I just couldn't hold these back! The use of all 8-colors is simply stunning.
    [​IMG]
    Air/Sea Battle: those planes are actually moving!
    [​IMG]
    Asteroids: Yes! Finally a console that can draw 4 asteroids per frame!
    [​IMG]
    Canyon Bomber: And you thought gameplay innovation ended with Pong! Even grandma's glaucoma won't stop her from reading the score.
    [​IMG]
    Star Wars Arcade: Good night GameCube! Pappa Lucas has a new #1 console!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -Camp
    [Edited last by Camp on August 02, 2001 at 11:42 PM]
    [Edited last by Camp on August 02, 2001 at 11:44 PM]

2. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Absolutely stunning -- words cannnot express the beauty of these shots. I actually HAD some of those games for my 2600. [​IMG]

3. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Had???
    Heck, I HAVE these games for my Atari 2600
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Don't make me angry....You wouldn't like me when I'm angry......"

4. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

WoW I had forgotten what 'Low-Res' was. [​IMG]
    These games may look BAD (and boy do they ever) but the concept behind the video game was revolutionary.
    Now THAT'S power!
    Great shots! I miss the game 'Adventure' with the dragons 'Rendel' 'Grendel' and 'Yorgel' each named to coordinate with they're respective colors. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 03, 2001 at 03:28 PM]

5. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

When the 2600 was developed, all it was meant to handle were two moving objects and a ball. Considering that it's impressive some of the things they got it to do- "Star Wars Arcade" was rather impressive when it came out (though I was quickly able to reach the point in the game where it stopped getting any harder and I could literally last FOREVER!) Often they had to cheat by flickering multiple moving objects which is why the ghosts in "Pac-Man" flicker- there's really only one on the screen at a time. With "Ms. Pac-Man" they figured out how to stretch the limits a bit further, so characters only flicker when they are close to each other.
    Has anyone ever flipped the "TV Type" switch to black-and-white to see the alternate color schemes used on some games to make them more visible on black-and-white screens?
    I wish I knew how to add an S-video output and direct audio out to a 2600.
    One thing I never figured out is why does every game have those lines on the left-hand side of the screen?

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The thing is... Many 2600 games are fun. Insanely so. In college, we would have marathon "Combat" sessions (and it was 1994-5, so we could have done better), and I can still blow an afternoon on "Circus".
    When you consider what the programmers did with 128 bytes of RAM, a 1MHz processor and 2-4K of ROM, some of those games are truly astounding.

8. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Remember when you could get the "On/Off" button half stuck and double shoot on Space Invaders? I can't believe how far we've come.
    Great pics Camp!

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Canyon Bomber looks awesome. [​IMG]
    -Andre F
    ------------------
    -= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

A lot of games do weird stuff if you turn the system off and on real fast- I saw this being called "Frying" on the rec.games.video.classic newsgroup.
    A point that bears repeating- yes, these games were simple technologically, but they were FUN! Maybe I'm just getting old, but I was REALLY into video games back in the day, and now they just don't do it for me. I've had a Playstation 2 for a couple months now and the games I play the most on it are Pac-Man (from the Namco Museum disc) and the "Classic" version of Space Invaders (which you can only get to when you 'beat' the new-fangled version- which is fun but why'd they have to let it end like that when the original goes on forever???)

Attached Files: