What's new

BECKET (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Watched the bluray from MPI the other night. Acting doesn't get much better than this with Peter Toole and Richard Burton. Image quality good but could be better. A restoration is much needed. It was a Paramount release.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Strangely enough, I revisited the Blu-ray earlier in the week myself (partially motivated by Intrada Records’ reissue of Laurence Rosenthal’s memorable score last month). While I’m not entirely sure about whether the picture quality could be better, I couldn’t agree more about the acting from the two leads, which make an already compelling story even more memorable, despite the various historical inaccuracies.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Strangely enough, I revisited the Blu-ray earlier in the week myself (partially motivated by Intrada Records’ reissue of Laurence Rosenthal’s memorable score last month). While I’m not entirely sure about whether the picture quality could be better, I couldn’t agree more about the acting from the two leads, which make an already compelling story even more memorable, despite the various historical inaccuracies.
The picture quality seems to vary from scene to scene. Many times though quite good.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Watched the bluray from MPI the other night. Acting doesn't get much better than this with Peter Toole and Richard Burton. Image quality good but could be better. A restoration is much needed. It was a Paramount release.

I do not believe Paramount currently holds the rights to this. The extant Blu-ray was issued by MPI, and it did not look as though it had been licensed from the studio.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
1651895345588.png

could you possibly imagine a behind the scenes documentary on the making of this film with these two hellraisers, Love this film, Masterclass in acting!

Sheldon Hall

Auditioning
Paramount sold all the rights to Becket some forty years ago to a wealthy private individual who just happened to like the film, and who licensed it for home-video release. I would be interested to know where the OCN ended up.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paramount sold all the rights to Becket some forty years ago to a wealthy private individual who just happened to like the film, and who licensed it for home-video release. I would be interested to know where the OCN ended up.
I believe it was sold by the Hal Wallis estate to Waleed Ali of MPI, and there it remains.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It seems fairly clear to me from the PQ of the Blu-ray that the OC was not used as the source material, unless it was simply a poor transfer. But, if MPI has the negative, why wasn't it used for that release?

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I've put off watching Becket for no good reason. It pairs well with that Christmas favorite, The Lion in Winter. What family doesn't have its ups and downs?

For an accurate historical account of Henry II, Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings, by Amy Kelly (1950) is worth reading.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
BECKET was originally copyrighted in 1964 by Paramount Film Service, Ltd. In 1992, the U.S. copyright was renewed by Classic Photoplays, Inc.., whoever they are. BECKET seems to be their only copyrighted property.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the German Blu-ray on the EuroVideo label which bears the MPI logo so presumably is from the same source although it only has the English track in 2.0 stereo. Extras are exactly the same as the MPI release and in English. Peter O'Toole's knowledgeable commentary track is excellent and he's not afraid to say what he thinks. Picture quality could certainly be better although I didn't think it looked particularly good when I saw the film as a 70mm blow up in 1964 at the Plaza, London. The MPI website says "Once thought lost forever, BECKET has now been restored to its original majesty with the support of the Film Foundation and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, including breathtaking new 2.0 stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtracks".

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
It's strange how for many of these mid 60s spectaculars, the picture quality has not been preserved very well. To the point that I stopped buying them on home video during the laserdisc or DVD cycles. I've stayed away from The Guns Of Navarone, A Man For All Seasons, Barabbas, Becket and a few others for this reason. I'm quite happy to watch them when they turn up on Prime because they are great movies but won't be buying physical media.

Last edited:

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
I remember seeing a re-release of the film at the Film Forum in NYC around the time of the release of the blu ray. I was quite taken by the acting and having only seen the film on television, it was impressive. I immediately bought it and continue to appreciate having the blu ray.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
It's strange how for many of these mid 60s spectaculars, the picture quality has not been preserved very well. To the point that I stopped buying them on home video during the laserdisc or DVD cycles. I've stayed away from The Guns Of Navarone, A Man For All Seasons, Barabbas, Becket and a few others for this reason. I'm quite happy to watch them when they turn up on Prime because they are great movies but won't be buying physical media.
Picture quality on the German blu ray for Becket is superior in audio and video to the US version. The UK version of A Man for all Seasons is superior in video to the US versions. The 4k version of Guns of Navarone is fine. You are correct in saying the home theater versions do not match the original showings but it is what is…won’t even discuss Barabbas.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Picture quality on the German blu ray for Becket is superior in audio and video to the US version. The UK version of A Man for all Seasons is superior in video to the US versions. The 4k version of Guns of Navarone is fine. You are correct in saying the home theater versions do not match the original showings but it is what is…won’t even discuss Barabbas.
Thanks for the update.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
How sad that films of this stature wind up in the hands of private individuals who take no pride in what they do.

Burton & 0’Toole rotting away in someones attic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks