What's new

BATMAN (1989) & sequels (STREET DATE: Oct. 18, 2005) (2 Viewers)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Don't know if this has been mentioned but over at DarkHorizons.com there is some news regarding Joel Schumachers involvement with Lost Boys 2. Within the LB2 news, I found this:

Joel Schumacher is back in the good books with Warner, he is apparently retooling his Batman movies for a SE dvd set
If Schumacher's Batman movies are being readied for an SE set, then that should mean that Burton's Batman movies would be also.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
I'll only purchase these two movies (Batman and Batman Returns) if they are in a new Special Edition. No way I'll buy these barebones editions (You dont even have the trailers!!!!!) :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Batman... It's a major franchise, I don't understand why they're not already in a big SE... :angry:

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
The recent SciFi.com announcement that Christian Bale has been cast as the "new" Batman (we all know there's really only one ;)) said that principle photography wouldn't begin until early 2004:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-f.../11/13.00.film

If Christopher Nolan pushes post we could see a Christmas 2004 release, I suppose (the amount and cost of FX work for the film will be a significant factor in this, whether one or multiple digital houses take on the work, etc., as will any delays/overruns), but realistically I'd anticipate a 2005 launch. That's more than a year. After Brett Ratner flew the Superman coop (I think he was officially the gazillionth director to do so), McG was quickly said to be in the front running, and is now, I believe, signed to the project (he was quoted as saying his frequent collaborator Drew Barrymore would be his first choice for Lois Lane). In the midst of all of this, live action Batman Beyond, Wonder Woman (is Sandra Bullock still attached?), and Catwoman (Halle Berry is locked/signed now, I believe, despite the long-standing interest in the role expressed by Ashley Judd) films have been trying to get off the ground, and there was even minimal talk (around the entertainment news sites) of a Wonder Twins film, or something.

What does all of this mean? Warner Bros. is absolutely swamped in superhero plans (imagine the Justice League crammed into a casting director's cubicle), and I don't think they'll be attempting first-release (or first SE re-release) classic superhero film/television tie-ins as a general rule (that doesn't exclude repackaging tie-ins, of course) -- much as these films (unlike their star characters) have so much trouble getting off the ground, so too would profit margins for the home video department if a DVD delay accompanied every franchise delay.

I'm of the opinion that Tim Burton's involvement/interest will be the primary force behind B1 and B2 (as the cool cats call 'em :D) re-releases; both films were big money makers for the studio (particularly number 1, I believe), and despite the reports of $100 million or nearly that in pre-production down the tubes during Burton's original involvement in a new Superman film a few years ago (with Nicholas Cage as the caped Coppola -- er, crusader) -- reports I personally doubt, but hey ... who knows -- I think the studio (unlike Buena Vista, cough, Region 1 Eddie, cough) is probably very interested in making Tim a happy camper, to say nothing of the franchise fan base.

If Burton's on the sidelines ... it's anyone's guess. Anything could happen. But if he's actively involved in making SEs of these and Beetlejuice a reality, I'd be very surprised if WB shelved them for another full year while Christopher Nolan (whose approach to Batman I'm very eager to see, in fact; I think he and his cinematographer on both Memento and Insomnia, Wally Pfister, have achieved a great visual narrative voice, a great way of using their frames and specific focus and timing, and hey, wonder of true wonders, they -- if Pfister is again on board -- just might bring us the first 'Scope Bat, which would be lovely) puts the finishing touches on his vision (heaven help anyone who approaches a nine figure studio franchise project without a vision) for Gotham. Maybe ... but my money's on SE releases for B1 and B2 (and probably BJ, no bear) in the coming months, and a boxed set re-release of all four films (possibly all in SE form) when the fifth film hits theatres.

That's my take on it, at any rate. And my hope. These two SEs have been far too long in coming (and along with SEs of True Lies and Ed Wood -- Region 1 Eddie! Region 1 Eddie! My angora sweater's worn to a frazzle in anticipation :) -- stand as some of my most hoped for, yet unannounced, SEs in the coming year; WB seems to control most of my hopefuls at the moment, actually, including the all-but-confirmed Branagh Hamlet and Kasdan Wyatt Earp, and of course Kong and Gone With the Wind late in the year :emoji_thumbsup:, but Buena Vista, as mentioned earlier, controls Eddie, and we've all been hounding Fox for True Lies, which I'm sure is on tap).

As to the television product, there was recent news about planned boxed sets for Batman: The Animated Series, and again I'd be very surprised if those plans were shelved until 2005. But we'll see, we'll see. With the arachnophobia and vertigo of Spider-Man 2 on the way, the possibility of a director's cut of Daredevil, Artisan's The Punisher, Scooby-Doo 2 (eh, er ...), Catwoman and Batman Beyond seemingly locked to begin production ... well, the comic world has no complaints in Hollywood. Green Lantern might need to shine his green light on a few of the other hopefuls to get them under way, but between home video and the theatre I believe we'll all have our fill of tight tights and wonder mights over the next couple of years.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I was just thinking the other day that Batman came out in 1989 which means WB could do a 15th Anniversary Special Edition release sometime in 2004. Of all the DVDs in my collection, Batman is the one I want re-released most(along with GoodFellas). I'm desperate for a new transfer, new 5.1 mix and a 2nd disc full of special features. I hope WB knows how much interest there is in this movie and that they deliver the goods in '04.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Warner knows the interest in Batman: SE - look how many people on the forum brought it up during the last Warner HTF Chat.

Real Name
Anthony
OK, FWIW, this is from a Batman site. It has a whiff of BS about it - there's certainly nothing coming this year - but the specificity of the doc titles is at least intriguing.

Here's what it says

" This is from Batman-On-Film

This is from "Mr. Creaker," a new source with some "info" regarding the upcoming SE BATMAN '89 DVD. I advise you to take this with a grain of salt as it is only rumor. But interesting rumor nonetheless:

DISC ONE

Brand New Digitally Re-mastered THX Certified Anamorphic Wide-screen Transfer 1:85.1

1. Tim Burton, Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson Commentary Track
2. Jon Peters and Peter Guber Commentary Track
3. Isolated Score with Optional Danny Elfman Commentary Track.
4. Bat trivia

DISC TWO

1.The Summer of Batman ( Feature Length All new Documentary )
2.Bat be Gone ( Deleted Scenes- filmed and Unfilmed hosted by Tim Burton )
3.MUSIC VIDEOS( Prince’s Bat-Dance and Party Man and Elfman’s Batman Theme )
4.Original 1989 ABC 20/20 Spot
5.Original 1989 HBO making of segment
6.Original Various 1989 Cast and crew Interviews
7.6 Tv spots, 1 Diet Coke Spot, Teaser Trailer, Full Trailer, Soundtrack Tv spot, Score Tv spot
8.Still Photos, Production Notes, Promotional Materials, Storyboards.
DVD ROM FEATURES on Disc 2

1.Script/ Storyboard to screen.
2.Web links.

PLUS

10 page booklet featuring newly found photos.

Plus mini versions of the Teaser, Advance and DVD posters.

I was also told that BATMAN RETURNS is getting a similar treatment. Both discs should be out around Christmas time, There is a possibility that BATMAN FOREVER will also be released with them, Not to sure about BATMAN AND ROBIN. From what I’m hearing Joel Schmacher already started a reworked cut of BATMAN FOREVER sometime after B&R. You may have even read that around 1998 it was planned for a fall release. This may possibly get released as a Special Edition this fall, But that is only if Schmacher and the WB work out some time for it to be properly done. Burton had some people working on these discs over the past year while he was filming big fish. As of now the commentary tracks have not been recorded but should be later next month after Burton is done with post production of Big Fish. All people and Features on this and Batman Returns have been yet to be finalized but everything seems to be rolling just fine. "

Hope that's of interest to you. :) Don't blame me if it's bollocks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Warner said in the last HTF Chat that SEs won't arrive until the next Batman movie.

The first movie is my #1 want for a re-release.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
It's sad that we have to wait until they can cross market the release with a new film. Oh well, this just gives us one more reason to look forward to Chritopher Nolan's new Bat film.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I call BS on those specs. None of the Warner 2-disc SEs have a booklet. Only way it would is if they went to a Matrix Reloaded style double Amaray (none SE release as well) instead of making it part of their 2-disc SE collection.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Those specs are just a fan's wishful thinking. His 'dream' specs are only going to make us disappointed when the disc finally arrives. There is no way that it will have such elaborate, definitive special features.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
There's no way Nicholson is doing a commentary track so I think these specs are more wishful thinking than fact. It would be AWESOME if the actual set turned out this good, though.

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also be amazed if Nicholson did a commentary - I recall he didn't even do any press for the movie when it came out...despite earning a few dollars on the show! But SEs are much needed for these titles! I returned the Batman DVD as the PQ was so bad.
Hopefully there'll be a Director's Cut of Batman & Robin - a 10 minute version!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Nicholson did one for As Good As It Gets, but that's it as far as I know. I'd say those specs are a fanboy dream.

I'm just glad we shall be getting this release within the next year or two with the new Nolan film. Think of the poor Superman fans.....considering the new Superman movie has been in various stages of derailment for five years now, they may never see new DVDs.

Rocky F

Second Unit
But at least there is a nice disc of the first Superman movie. Even if a Batman SE had comparable features to that it would be better than what we have now.

Guido AC

Grip
Look what I just found at the Batman on Film site!!!!

BOF reader "Edskizzorhands" attended a screening of Tim Burton's BIG FISH at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, hosted by Burton himself. In a Q&A session afterward, Burton confirmed that SE versions for the first three Bat-films--ones that he was involved with--are indeed in the works. The director said that he and Danny Elfman have already recorded their commentary tracks, done last year. While they would include deleted scenes, Burton says his two films would not be re-edited. However, there is a chance that BATMAN FOREVER might get a re-cut by Joel Schumacher.

OMG, YES, YES!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks