What's new

Basement Finishing System for H.T. (1 Viewer)

Karl D.

Auditioning
Hi all, Im new here and hoping to learn some things as well as contribute where I can.
Has anyone out there heard of the owens corning basement finishing system? I am considering it to finish my basement but am unsure of its compatability with the home theater environment. One drawback I see right from the start is only one color is available. medium beige. However, the wall panels are contructed of compressed fiberglass insulation with an olefin fabric facing. The panels are "soft". The have about the same "give" as really stiff couch cushion.? They are said to absorb .95% noise. The panels go right up against the concrete walls with no vapor barrier as they are impervious to moisture, mold and mildew. The other problem I forsee is the drop ceiling. From much Ive read it may not be ideal for isolating the upper floors from below. It is awful expensive when compared to typical drywall finishing, but I never have to paint, 10 days to install complete, no dusty mess all over the house, if water does come in I dont need to repair the walls. Anyway, Ive gone on long enough. Im close to pulling the trigger and could really use some other perspectives. Thanks

Roy Brooks

Agent
Looks like an interesting product, the sound proofing and insulation would be a real bonus for the HT. the only thing that concerns me is that you have to get a franchised contractor to install it ( high pressure sales pitch? ). Living in Canada I'm sure I wouldn't be able to find a contractor if I wanted to. It would be interesting to see the price comparison between traditional systems and this product.

Karl D.

Auditioning
The cost is roughly $40./sq. foot. Includes all electrical, special acoustic drop ceiling, recess can lights, doors.

Flooring is all my resp. I will go with the dri-core subfloor with carpeting. Im so anxious to get it done but the extra cost has me wavering. 632 sq. feet! 12' x 39' x 8'
light colored walls!, great acoustical properties!, extra cost!, drop ceiling, extra cost, no mess!, 10 day completion, extra cost!! AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! sigh...:frowning: ;)

JeromeL

Auditioning
I am getting the Basement finishing system put in my basement next Wed. They say it will take two weeks. My basement will be roughly 1200 sq feet. My dedicated theater will be approximately 250 sq feet. After installation. I plan on building the platform for seating and a small stage in front of the theater/screen. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Karl D.

Auditioning
Thats great Jerome! Im 95% sure I'm doing it. If I may ask, how much did they quote you? Are you doing carpeting? What kind of subfloor will you use? How do you plan on dealing with the light colored walls? What projector will you use use? And screen? Good luck with the install and I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks

JeromeL

Auditioning
I actually haggled on the price. I first signed on, then I cancelled a few days afterwards. They sent their manager to my home to find out why. I told them that the price was about 10K more than I wanted to pay-considering I want a small kitchen and full bathroom in my basement. The manager told me that their was some quota amongst the managers had and that the sales people didn't know about. So he gave me a 8K price cut!This conversation was held about 2-3 months ago- so I don't know if their quota thing is up.
I haven't decided on the flooring yet- I want something nice because my basement is a walkout and will get a lot of use. I've considered the dri-core for my theater but still need to look into it. As far as the wall colors I decided I'm going to hang maroon/red curtains on the sides of the theater and hang black ones in the front and back of the theater. The theater floor will be covered in a dark berber carpet that also will cover the platform and stage. As far as components- I have a Da-lite 80" screen and an Infocus 4805 projector. My speakers are JBL (I believe they are the studio series). Not the greatest but I'm no audiophile. This will be my first theater so I don't want to go all out just yet.
I'll fill you in in how this will come out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks