What's new

BARRY LYNDON : an appeal to WHV for restoration (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
It's been asked before, but I'll ask again: is the rerelease of Barry Lyndon anamorphic or is it the same transfer as the previous DVD?

I understand that others want a HD version, but if it's available anamorphic on SD DVD, I'll buy it.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here is my position:

I owned the previous digitally restored edition of Barry Lyndon (released in 2001) but sold it when I heard last year that new editions of Kubrick's films were being prepared by Leon Vitali and Warner. I felt that the transfer was stunning and would have been even more so had it been anamorphic.

A HD master exists - the HDTV presentations prove this.

Warner struck a brand-new 35mm print this year. It was shown at the New Beverly Cinema in July.

I think that it is very, very strange that Warner did not use the HD master that was used for the HDTV presentation, or create a new HD master when they struck the new print, seeing as they were already doing the same for the other five Kubrick films.

In summary, there is no need for a restoration, or even a remaster, as there is clearly a HD master in existence (used for TV). There is no way, at present, to be certain that the upcoming releases of Lolita and Barry Lyndon will not be in 1.66:1 anamorphic, though we have sufficient reason to think that they will be the same 1.66:1 NON-anamorphic transfers from 2001. But that doesn't seem to be Warner's general working practice these days - to release older (and inferior) transfers when re-releasing films on DVD. It is possibly the case that Warner used existing or created new HD masters of Lolita and Lyndon, but that they only at this stage, will be releasing SD down-conversions and will release Blu-Ray and HD-DVD edition as they see fit to do so. They do this with many of their recent (in the last two years) releases of catalogue films. Yet, that Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior) was Blu-Ray and HD-DVD only, but that The Cowboys recieved releases in all three formats is puzzling.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
This film has an important photographic legacy, as outlined above. I would purchase a special edition of this film.

Regards,
Nathan

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
my understanding is that Barry Lyndon is purely a re release and NO plans to update it /restore it as part of the new collection

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
There is no indication from Warner that Lolita and Lyndon will be the same letterboxed transfers from 2001. Everyone is assuming that simply because BD and HD editions have not been announced or that the discs have no extras. I think that the transfers will be the same - but I cannot be certain of that at this time. ;)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There is no need for a restoration. The transfer that aired on HDNet Movies was stunning. Just give me that on Blu-Ray with lossless audio and I'd be a happy guy.

For the record, I think BL is Kubrick's best film. It's certainly his most underrated.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I have seen the most recent DVD release. However, the HDNET Movies version was significantly superior to DVD quality, and easily superior in quality to many of the movies I have seen on the channel.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
No Kubrick DVD collection is complete with out Barry Lyndon.

For me this is a MUST HAVE HD disc.

Since a new print and HD version exist, I cant imagaine why it was excluded from the upcoming sets.

I hope WB will release it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The striking of a new print has nothing to do with video mastering.

RAH

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Do you know if they made new inter-positives for the last DVD collection? The transfers were vastly superior to the original DVD releases. Surely the new elements would still be in excellent condition, suitable for these new DVDs.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I only mentioned the striking of a new print as a matter of factual interest and to show that Warner cares about this movie and realise that it is highly respected.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner's not only cares about Mr. Kubrick's work, but is concerned about their entire library. The amount of effort that goes into preserving and prepping for home video release, titles which are both studio produced as well as purchased is of the highest level.

It is always appropriate to face west and to raise one's hat to Mr. Price.

RAH

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If what you say is true, Robert, why are Warner not releasing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD special editions - or even 1.66:1 anamorphic SD DVDs - of Lolita and Barry Lyndon? If that happened, people would not only raise a hand to old Neddy - they'd kiss his ass!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Vincent. It's all well and good to say "strike a new print," but the question becomes, "from what elements?" If a decent interpositive can be found, or even if the ONeg is in excellent shape, this is not an issue. However, one need only listen to RAH's commentary on My Fair Lady to rebut the presumption that all negatives are handled equally, and it may be that time is what is needed to find source elements good enought to source an HD transfer, since that is the goal here.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Weren't new interpositives made for the last (second) DVD release of these films? Warner probably just needed to do new HD transfers from the same elements.

The first DVD release of the films were just ports of the laserdisc transfers, and looked terrible.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Quite right. That is apparent by the product itself, and I never suggested otherwise. WHV has set the standard for the rest of the home-video industry.

I'm sure you'll agree, however, that Barry Lyndon is a unique case which merits special attention and an upgraded home video release. WHV has a lot on its agenda, so I thought I would call attention to the possibilities of this extraordinary achievement Barry Lyndon.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Q= There will be no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD editions of Lolita or Barry Lyndon?

Not right now, but I´m sure they´ll be released along with the new SD DVD-releases.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Any updates about it? Barry Lyndon is one of my favorite Kubrick-films (and sadly one more underrated than his other films) and I would be the first in line to buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out, hopefully with some decent features as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks