What's new

Barbara Stanwyck Christmas Double Feature TCM Friday 12/22 /17 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TCM will be showing "Christmas In Connecticut"followed by "Remember The Night" starting at 8 PM Friday Eastern Time.
Great double feature on a cold winter night. Though in the NY area the forecast is for rain with temperatures in the 40's. So not so cold. I suspect it will be cold somewhere in the US.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I agree: a great Christmas double bill. Both films are on good quality Blu-ray discs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The TCM Blu-ray of Remember the Night has gone out of print, so I'll be recording the TCM presentation hoping it's in high definition.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those that don't own the blu-rays of these, this is a don't miss!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The quickest Blu Ray release along with another title they issued at the same time to be deleted. Not ordering both as soon as announced on Blu Ray, I missed them but at least the other got a Criterion release, and probably better, later. Maybe it will happen again elsewhere on Blu?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Whoah, what a great film, Remember the Night. More evidence than ever of why my attorney dad's favorite actress of all time was Barbara Stanwyck (and he must have loved this film). Just stay on her eyes for all the character cues and you're home free.

I'm a huge Preston Sturges fan but didn't even know this was his script until the TCM intro. I've watched the films he wrote and directed many times over and have the box set but, even with another director, this was as good as many of those, and one where he plays it straight. And I was particularly impressed by not copping out on the ending with some contrived cheesy twist.

A terrific Christmas gift I didn't expect. I watched it waiting for my son home from college to eventually wake up, and the sequence of the son returning home for Christmas to his wonderful mother (and her effect on his traveling companion) resonated strongly.

Merry Christmas indeed to everyone on this forum, and for any that might chance upon this post!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I love the film, too, but I hope the DVD and Blu-ray releases via TCM were better than this presentation on their network. It didn't truly mar my enjoyment, but I was disappointed to see how much work the film needed. I hope the disc presentations received it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks