What's new

Baraka in 4K? (2 Viewers)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Saw the BD on my shelf and decided to take a look after more years than I can remember.
Stunning images and sound.
A modern day This is Cinerama-filmed in Todd-AO 65mm around the world
A breathtaking achievement from a small group of filmmakers which was successful when released.
Here in Sydney it ran for years for a few shows a week until the 70mm prints fell apart.
Baraka was scanned at 8k for the BD so would be an ideal candidate for the new(ish) format.
Why no takers?
Surely the makers would want their creation seen in its best light.
Kino, Olive, Criterion????

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
I'm a big fan of both films and saw them at the Sunshine Cinemas gone now but glorious. And they were tremendous, transporting experiences of pure image and sound. Wonderful. I'd love a 4K disc of both films

Reactions: PMF
Real Name
GaryWilliamWhitley
How about Ryan's daughter in 4k?,was filmed in 70mm and had a six track stereo sound for its audio in first run cinemas at the time of its first run,yes I know the story is quite slow in parts but oh that magnificent cinematography And how about Dr.Zhivago and all that snow and season changing cinematography great art and set decoration too

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
How about Ryan's daughter in 4k?,was filmed in 70mm and had a six track stereo sound for its audio in first run cinemas at the time of its first run,yes I know the story is quite slow in parts but oh that magnificent cinematography And how about Dr.Zhivago and all that snow and season changing cinematography great art and set decoration too

My guess is that Warner Bros has been working steadily to get RYAN'S DAUGHTER on Blu-ray out the door. They obviously know we all want it.

Tri6

Auditioning
Real Name
Cmo
It seems that a 4K HDR master of Baraka exists. I won't break any rules by divulging details of a leak but what I assumed would be an unofficial amateur upscale of the 1080p version with faked HDR is actually real.

Not super surprising considering the 8K scan is over a decade old. They probably worked on it around the same time they did the Samsara release. So hopefully an upcoming official physical release is in the near future. I would like to see a Dolby Vision UHD release published by Criterion since their 4K releases have been great so far. The Red Shoes is probably the best looking 4K blu ray I own and I have seen most of the major films ever released in UHD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks