What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Bands that record "live in the studio?" (1 Viewer)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
What bands have recorded albums altogether, at the same time, essentially "live?"

I know that the majority of albums are recorded this way: they lay the drum track, then they lay the guitar track, blah-blah, then finally the vocal track.

I think that, a few decades ago, some albums were recorded live in the studio, but I doubt that's how its done nowadays.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Anything on the mapleshade label. I highly doubt anything on a major label is done in full takes anymore. (Except live albums, but those aren't studio).

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
R.E.M.'s "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" and Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" are both mostly live records.

The Eagles have a song called "Victim of Love" from Hotel California that was done live.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Most of Springsteen's output with the E Street Band was recorded this way, with the notable exception of the Born to Run album.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Dave Matthews Band's "Under the Table and Dreaming", "Crash", and I think their 3rd major label effort "Before These Crowded Street's" was also one.

Bela Fleck's Tales from the Acoustic Planet Vol. 2 is another one.

EDIT: so I did a quick Google search and found another thread on this. with more bands listed.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, do you mean 1 song @ a time or the entire album in one sitting? i think the entire album in setting is incredibly difficult especially if they want to perfect every note... but doesn't mean it wasn't done in the past to save recording costs ;). plus, with computers nowadays, many people copy+paste everything together and just change how they play the songs live.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I know Mark Knopler's "Shangri-La" album was done that way (as evidenced in the extras on the DVD-Audio version). Also, Travelling Wilburys "Vol. 1" (also as evidenced in the extras on the accompanying DVD).

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

I was actually thinking 1 song @ a time...but! that raises an interesting question! An entire album - a real "concept" album - would be a jam session in one sitting. Obviously Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers did NOT record their album in one sitting, but the way they blended their songs together would indicate that that was the effect they were trying for.

Has this ever been done...and done well?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
that means it's not stereo. to achieve "stereo" wouldn't you need @least 2 mics?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think I read somewhere that the basic band tracks on the Stooges "The Weirdness" were done live. Thatswhy I was kinda dissapointed with it, they obviously over-dubbed the solos.

That said, based on "The Funhouse Sessions" The Stooges Funhouse was recorded live in the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ciuycjsgfvbn
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale