What's new

Bad Game Disk Errors... (1 Viewer)

Bret K

Auditioning
For the first time ever, I have started having serious problems with a console. Outlaw Golf locks up on me about once an hour with a bad game disk error, but this is my second copy of the game and there are no visible physical defects! I also have Halo and watch DVD's all the time without any problems, but both copies of Outlaw Golf have given me problems. Is anyone else experiencing this?? What do you think I should do? I have only had my xbox for about a month, so its still under manufacturer's warranty.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Return it! If you are still under warranty, use it & get a new one while you still can. Once you are out of warranty, it costs +$100 to fix, so better safe than sorry.

-Dave

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having the same problem with Outlaw Golf. Everything else plays fine on my Xbox, so maybe they had a bad pressing?

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
A 'bad pressing' could be the problem. It DOES happen. I purchased Halo in a bundle system from Amazon. The disc would not load past level 1 and gave an error/disc dirty message. The outer, clear plastic surface was fine. However, the actual data layer was not uniformly coated but was more hap-hazard at best. There were three shades of 'gold'. The outside edge looked normal, the center was the darkest shade and another shaded 'blob' was in the middle. Also of note, just before I received the replacement copy, I actually got level 2 to load once put never again (after many, many tries). Anyway, the replacement disc had a "Game of the Year" badge on the front cover (obviously a different pressing) and it worked fine and looked - normal.
Also, during the Dreamcast launch there were several titles that would not load or perform correctly due to poor pressings. I had one called Blue Stinger that I had to get replaced as a matter of fact.

Bret K

Auditioning
Thanks for the responses. Maybe it is a bad pressing. It just sucks because it freezes at the worst times. For example I play through 18 holes with no problems and then it freezes before I can find out if I won anything or my final standings for that tournament. That's when I have to put in Halo or ED to let off some steam!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
My copy of Morrowind notoriously crashes mid-game and, many times the Xbox won't even recognize the disc...even though it looks flawless to me.

Also noticed the "scratched edges" phenomenon that the Jap-anese we're complaining about, when the Box went on sale over there. My copy of Halo is scratched to hell and back all around the outer edge.

Anyone else experience this?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I rented Outlaw Golf last week and played it a half-dozen times without any lockups or mishaps. In fact the only time I ever had a problem with Xbox playback was with the first couple of OXM discs, I sometimes experienced intermittent stuttering.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks