What's new

Backpack for Carry-on luggage (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
A question for those that might have experience in this area...

I have been interested in getting into backpacking. I am starting to look at gear. As it happens, I have also been thinking about getting a new carry-on bag for flying and it occurred to me that maybe one bag can cover both needs?

Any thoughts? My initial backpacking trips would probably be just for 1 or 2 nights max so I wouldn't think the limitations of carry-on luggage size would be an issue.

For example, here is one product I have found that looks interesting for this dual use scenario, the Osprey Porter 46.

-Keith

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would go to the TSA web site (or wherever the regulations are displayed) and find out what is allowed both size wise and type wise. I agree a backpack seems like a reasonable carry on, but you never know.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I use a Swissgear backpack as a carry on whenever I fly but I don't backpack or hike so mine is mainly used to carry my laptop.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Your biggest issue will not be the backpack itself, but the items you pack in the carry on. If you are backpacking overnight, there may be items you wish to bring along (knives, bear spray, liquids, tent spikes, etc.) which will get stopped by airport security.

I use a Lowepro 400AW backpack as a carry on for my camera gear, but also have another piece of checked luggage for clothing and other personal items.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Thanks for the feedback.

To be clear, it wasn't that I was planning on flying to my hiking destination. I don't fly much and was just thinking that a backpack could do double duty as a piece of luggage from time to time. I wouldn't be trying to bring my hiking gear in a carry on bag of any type. In other words, when used as a carry on bag, the backpack would just have typical carry on stuff in it (clothes and what not).

-Keith

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just got back from a trip and lots of people use backpacks as carry on bags. You just need to make sure the size falls within the guidelines of the airline (which may vary by carrier, or even by specific plane). Check the specific airline website for their restrictions.

I bought a new carry on bag for this trip that was small enough to fit under the seat. This was OK on most flights, but we did have one plane (Airbus A321) where some seats had some kind of mechanical/electrical boxes under some seats. I had one of these seats on one flight and my bag wouldn't fit, so I had to stow it in the overhead bin on this flight. Not really convenient as there were things I wanted accessible during flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks