What's new

Back To School 16x9 - does this exist or not? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
This subject has been mentioned a couple times in threads devoted to other topics, but I thought it was time for it to have its own thread.

I've seen a couple reports that MGM has *quietly* reissued Back To School with a new 16x9 transfer. Apparently the packaging on the new disc does state that it s enhanced for widescreen TV's.

The DVD has a re-release date of 6/24/03 at most online retailers. Whether or not this means it was a re-issue with a new transfer, I don't know.

Also, I was under the impression that the original only had 2.0 sound. I see a lot of retailers online that state 5.0 for the sound, but I'm unsure if that means they have the new version or not.

Best Buy no longer carries the title in their stores. Borders has one copy per store but it's the old version every time I see it. Haven't seen it at Wal-Mart, Circuit City or Target. And to thicken the plot, MGM doesn't even list it on their website.

I read a post the other day from someone here that stated that they found a copy at a CVS pharmacy that had the new transfer. I checked a couple in my area but no luck.

So, can anyone confirm this version truly exists? A back cover scan of the new version would be very cool!

Also, I've read conflicting reports on the AR of the film-some say 1.85 and some say 2.35. Can anyone with the new version confirm the AR? I know the old version had some bad matting issues.

And lastly, if anyone has an extra copy of the new one or can get one, please let me know and we can work out a deal. Thanks!

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I was actualy thinking of picking up the old one since its so cheap but if their is a new version coming out than I will pick up that instead. This movie should really get a special edition release though with Rodney Dangerfield commentary and deleted scenes. Does anyone know if there ever was a special edition for the laserdisc?.

-Mike

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it does indeed exist, as I own a copy. Why it is not in mass circulation is a mystery to me. Maybe the 6/24 re-release will be of this new transfer.

I would scan the back but I do not own a scanner. The back is exactly the same except it says "16x9 Widescreen" instead of just "Widescreen" and "5.1 Surround" instead of "2.0 Surround".

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Mark,

Thanks for the info. I actually got a scan via e-mail from another very helpful HTF member. The UPC is indeed different from the original release. The re-release was actually 6/24 of last year.

Here's the old back cover:

And the new one:

I added this title to a recent DVDEmpire order, and since their listing shows the newer UPC I'm hoping I get the new one.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Be VERY careful of this one. The earlier MGM DVD had a hideous 1.85 transfer that was CROPPED and totally mis-framed (some of the opening credits fell below the frame as memory serves!) -- go back and read through the threads and you'll see what I mean.

Hopefully not only will this be 16:9, but also re-formatted to its proper 1.85 theatrical dimensions -- not the "zoomed box" presentation they gave us the first time around (so bad I've only watched the full-frame version instead!).

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Malcolm,

If you want the insert so bad than A. Buy the previous version so you can get the insert than sell the dvd on ebay and buy the new version or B. Go to a local blockbuster and take the insert out of the case hehe. The second option I don't encourage as its potentialy dangerous.

-Mike

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't they have to do a new transfer in order to make it anamorphic? True they could use the same bad print or framing, but hopefully they didn't. I have the old one so if I can get the new one I'll try and do some screen shots.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

Please tell us when you get your order. I would love to re-purchase this movie for a new 16x9 transfer.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just got my copy from DVDEmpire, and it is indeed the newer version with UPC 027616896919. Unfortunately, I forgot I gave the old version to my brother! So I don't have the option to compare the two. I will say I did notsee any framing issues during the titles-the titles looked perfect framed. And it is definitely 16:9 enchanced.

Apparently I got DVDEmpire's last copy, but I would think when they restock it will be the newer one again.

If anyone has any specific scenes you know of that were incorrectly framed on the old version, post the timecode and I'll upload a screenshot of the new version.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update. Just off the top of your head, does this anamorphic transfer look better than the original release in terms of color, clarity, etc.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Dave,

I honestly don't remember what the old transfer looked like-I think I watched it once on my smaller TV a couple years ago when I got it.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
I believe I mentioned this in one of the other threads, but yes, the picture on the new release is much improved in both clarity and color depth. It also eliminates a lot of ringing and artifacts from the first release. The soundfield is much wider across the front, although surround effects are fairly limited to just the score. An unexpected surprise from MGM, as it's always great to see studios re-releasing older non-anamorphic or pan-and-scan transfers.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
You know, you think they would at least call this a new "Special Edition" or something just to alert people to the new version. I'm sure they'd get a lot of re-purchases.

Either way I'm just glad to have the 16:9 version-finally.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
After reading through this thread, I looked at a few brick and mortar stores for a copy of the anamorphic version and couldn't find it stocked anywhere. I had to stop by the grocery store on my way home and, what do you know? There was an MGM $9.99 DVD display near the front of the store. I thumbed through and found the anamorphic Back to School sitting in there. It even had a $2 off coupon stuck to the front.

Chad, if you're still reading this thread, I'm in Orlando as well and I got it at the Winn Dixie on E. Colonial and Lake Pickett (slightly east of Alafaya Trail). It isn't prominently displayed in the MGM display, but it is hiding in there.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay, I just picked up the anamorphic version from Suncoast, and it is indeed 16:9 and Dolby 5.1. The framing is better, as is the film itself. I just glanced at a few scenes, and the old version was misframed, and had junk throughout the film. When I say junk I mean dots, hair, etc. The new version is cleaner, and has the proper framing. Very noticable is Dangerfield's ad at the beginning. His hair is no longer cut off, and you can see much more of the sides than before.

The new one starts with an MGM logo before the Orion logo, the old one did not have this.

THE BAD NEWS: It appears they messed up on the title sequence. On the old one, it was tinted. The new anamorphic one is not. Just black and white. IIRC, the film theatrically shown had the tint for the opening scene and title.

I am not sure why they would change this, does anyone know?
It is the only negative I could find on this version. Hopefully it is not a deal breaker for anyone, as this new version is much better otherwise.

I haven't checked the fullscreen version, as I try to only watch movies in OAR.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Finally found a new copy of this DVD

All I can say is why didn't MGM promote it?

The new transfer is night and day between the 2 DVDs

For those of you who love this movie like myself, the new transfer is better then I thought it would be.

MGM please STOP re-releasing SE DVDs as bare bones with the same UPC...

MGM did it right this time, a new transfer of an old DVD with a different UPC so we can tell the differnce...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks