Back surround placement...how far apart?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan Keliikoa, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

I'm still waiting for my back surrounds to show up (they are identical to my surrounds; M&K SS150 tripoles), but should the back surrounds, which are right behind my listening couch, be close together or as far apart as I can set them? They are about a foot and a half behind the couch.

My room's width is approx 11', and the back surrounds are going to be on stands and can be a max of about 8 1/2' feet apart, or just a couple of feet apart if that's preferable.

Thank you!

2. Leon O

Leon O Stunt Coordinator

Dan, my room is 11.5 feet across & my couch is about 1.5 feet from the rear wall. My side surrounds are about even with the listening position. A 5' openning in my rear wall prevented my from spreading them out. They are two studs apart, about 3 feet and centerred. I think the sound great there, even though it is usually recommended that they are spread further. Before mounting them on the wall, try them with your favorite surround demo's and see what sounds best to you. 30 to 60 minutes of experimentation is pretty cheap [​IMG]

Good Luck!

3. Dan Keliikoa

Thanks Leon! The speakers will be on stands, so experimenting will be easy...I was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb one way or the other on the close-together/far-apart as possible thing.

I'm really stoked about going 7.1! [​IMG]

4. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

5. Dan Keliikoa

Thanks Legairre! Great link with lots of useful info [​IMG]

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

This gets interesting, because for THX Ultra2, the recommendation actually includes to have the speakers almost side by side. But I go with Logic 7's recommendation of 15 deg apart from the centerline, or 30 deg total apart.

7. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Anytime Dan. Actually I just got a Rotel 2 channel amp to power my back speakers and was on the site looking for myself when I saw your thread. Glad to help