What's new

Avia v.s. Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have a 16:9 RP HDTV and have used Video Essentials to adjust the settings.

I've heard quite a bit about Avia. Would there be any advantage to buy Avia since I already own Video Essentials.

Video Essentials is 1.33 so I stretch it to 16:9 to do the set up. Is Avia also in 1.33 or is it 16:9?

Any suggestions/comments form someone who has used both and knows the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you already own VE I would not buy AVIA. If you really feel like adding to or replacing your VE, wait until Digital VE comes out later this year.

Jason Beaumont

Auditioning
If I don't have a 16:9 or HDTV but just purchased a Pioneer 811s reciever and JBL SCS150si 5.1 speaker setup would you recommend VE or Avia? I'm wondering if the audio calibration stuff alone would be worth the money.

Or do I wait for the updates of these discs, supposedly coming soon?

Thanks!

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
i have a rca HD widescreen-- is one (avia/ VE) more preferable? i also have a 5.1 set up.

i've been searching all these forums but still not sure which calibration disk i should get.
thanks!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If I don't have a 16:9 or HDTV but just purchased a Pioneer 811s reciever and JBL SCS150si 5.1 speaker setup would you recommend VE or Avia? I'm wondering if the audio calibration stuff alone would be worth the money.
If you just want a simple inexpensive solution to test audio (and video for that matter), why not just use the THX test that's included free with many DVD's like Star Wars or other THX certified discs??

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Good point. The THX setup included in the DVD's is really quite good. Most receivers also have a set up program that can be accessed using your TV screen.
Rick

steven pm

Agent
Of course, it depends on how much you want to adjust. I have both VE (a coupla years) and Avia (coupla moonths) and Avia wins hands-down over VE. Much easier to navigate, better 'flashing' test patterns (easier to adjust than static ones), *much* better audio tests incl. tone sweeps with frequency display, etc.

As for the THX stuff, it's OK for the very basics. But you need the color strip for color & tint, and all 3 (in Avia) to determine the color saturation. Also, dunno if the THX demo has an overscan pattern, which is key for adjusting OS and geometry if you're gonna do that (recommended).

There's also a SOund & Vision set-up disc from the AVia folks. Dunno how much of the Avia stuff is on it and what's missing, but it's much cheaper.

Or wait for Digital VE. I'm sure it will be much better than the first. $^)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks