AVENGERS Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Norm, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Remember that Marvel is now owned by Disney, so it may have somewhat deeper pockets than it used to. However by the same token, Disney just cut the budget of the latest Pirates movie, so who knows.

Personally I think Joss Whedon is a good choice.

Doug

2. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

What did they see in Jon Favreau's work that made them think he was the man for Iron Man?

Doug

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I don't know. But Whedon has a lot more material to form an opinion on than Favreau did. I imagine that Zathura is what attracted them to Favreau.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Oh come on! It was obviously "Elf" that got him the Iron Man job. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

5. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Considering that Elf made over $200 million world wide, thats probably not too far off the mark.

Doug

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    "Elf" did good box office and is a classic Christmas movie, but my point was that it's not exactly the kind of film that screams out "Let's hire this guy to do a tentpole superhero film for us."

7. Patrick H.

Patrick H. Second Unit

Looks like Edward Norton is out:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-marvel-confirms-they-will-hire-new-hulk-for-avengers

Strangely backhanded statement from the studio, as all I've ever read from Norton in interviews is that he'd be excited to be back as long as the director was different. Gotta say...this kills my enthusiasm for the project by about as much as their hiring of Whedon piqued it. After Terrence Howard's replacement in Iron Man II, Marvel's disregard for casting continuity is starting get ominous. Plus I was just psyched at the prospect of Norton and Downey Jr. sharing some screen time.

8. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Norton being out doesn't bother me at all. I felt Norton was only playing Norton not Bruce Banner. I hope they can find a real Bruce Banner next time. An unknown is always the best IMO.

9. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

I'd say rehire Eric Bana. Just to confuse audiences even more.

:)

10. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I agree Bana might confuse things. I think they want to erase that version of the Hulk. I also think they will find a new Banner & lock him up for more movies. While their at it they should find a new Betty I'm just not wild about Liv Tyler. I would prefer Connolly, but then it would add even more confusion. I'm sure they will keep William Hurt as General Ross to keep the connection to TIH movie. I'm sure he will make some appearance in the Avengers.

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I wanted Norton as well. RDJ is a heavyweight, Evans should be alright, but Hemsworth and some no name will probably get lost. Norton was the other heavyweight. I liked his Banner. A lot.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Have Bana poke his head out from behind the shower curtain telling Betty (Jennifer Connelly) that he had the weirdest dream...

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wow, pretty gutsy for that Marvel Studios exec to basically come out and say "Edward Norton doesn't play well with others." and to hit the road, Ed.

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I imagine Norton being difficult to work with worked against him but I bet the biggest factor was that they could cut a $15 or $20 million paycheck out of the budget (especially when few casual viewers remember or care that Norton played Banner).

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Then obviously the Marvel Studios exec has horrible diplomatic skills in the PR department. But it wouldn't be the first time Marvel Studios pinches pennies when it comes to casting.

16. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

I'd guess that Hulk just isn't going to play that large a role given his soft box office draw. Norton probably wouldn't play ball anyways, he'd insist on changes and wouldn't be worth the trouble.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So the Marvel studios exec was being nice by only saying Ed was a PITA, not that he was also too expensive. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

19. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

I just can't see Money being the issue.

• All parties knew they were doing Avengers when they made "...Hulk" with Norton. Even if he didn't sign on then for Avengers like all the other stars have, there would have been discussions of the project, including the paycheck.

• Given that he'd have a supporting role at best in "Avengers," and his own film didn't set the B.O. on fire, there's just no motivation or leverage to hold out for a bigger payday.

• Norton has a reputation for being difficult to work with. He had that reputation long before his dealings with Marvel.

Meanwhile Marvel is putting together one of the most complicated projects imaginable, there's simply no room for Hulk to be fighting with the film-makers here.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Maybe money isn't the biggest issue (as I said before) but I'd be surprised if their thinking wasn't along the lines of "This guy is a pain in the ass and he's going to cost us millions of dollars so why not dump him?" That way, they don't have to deal with Norton or pay his salary- that's a win win for Marvel.

All that being said, I have to agree with Norton's agent that Marvel was unprofessional by talking shit in a public statement.