What's new

Austin TX. Meet? (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Just curious if there are plans for a January meet?
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again!

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
You beat me to it. Over in After Hours Lounge, an Austinite who's never been to an HTF meet (Korey McAlpin) started a thread about the Home Theater Store. In that thread, I told him to watch this section for an Austin meet thread, so hopefully he'll join in right about now...
We should have a meet some time in January.
Someone will need to step up to host. Progress on my house has been agonizingly slow - and it is now two months behind schedule. I probably won't be able to host anything until summer, based on the (lack of) progress so far.
I'll blast out a notice to everyone who showed up at the last couple of meets.
Any suggestions on lunch venues, topics, stores to visit, etc.?
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I just blasted out my announcement to everyone I could find on the forum who's been involved in earlier Austin HT meet threads, or whose profile says they're from Austin.
Here's who got my mass-mailing (listed by forum name). Apologies in advance if I forgot someone.
Jeff Blair
Chad Anson
Charles Guajardo
DanielF
Doug_H
EddieN
Edward
Erik Pontius
Graham Perks
Greg Risley (whom I believe also fled the overpriced Yuppie hell of Colorado!)
Hank Frankenburg
Jason Mondine
Kevin Hunt
Korey McAlpin
Mark Austin
Mark Hayenga
Michael Hudson
Mike Larsen
Randy L
Shawn McBride
If you know someone else on HTF (or other Internet HT boards like Digital Theater, AV Science, Home Theater Talk, etc.) who should come to the meet, please do me a favor and point them to this thread!
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Im game too.Depending whats going on for me.
My insurance is meeting at my house sometime next month for reconstructing a wall do to mold damage.
but ill try my best to show up of course.
------------------
Jun Motorsports is da bombino.

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Hello again guys. I've just recently been aware of several Austinites who hang at AVS and have mentioned this thread to them. Hopefully they will be stopping by to participate or at least drop some suggestions. I hope that was alright.
------------------
-Kevin

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I'm up for a meet. Can't wait to meet my fellow addicts. I would offer to have it at my house but we just moved in 2 weeks ago and I barely got the projector hung. Boxes everywhere but Feb. should be a good time for me to play host. A suggestion for a place to visit would be "Sound Mind Audio" I just got a newsletter in the mail from them and it looks like a pretty small place but they might be very accommodating.
Greg
PS--Yes I did just escape from the Denver area. Where the cost of living is as high as the elevation. But if you have ever checked out www.audio-magic.com cables, you'll see they're based out of Aurora and I am friends with the owner and I probably could get all us Austin guys a nice discount on some fine cables.

Jeff Chumbley

Auditioning
Greetings:
I'm one of the guys that Kevin Hunt pointed this direction. I'd be interested in meeting up with some fellow Austin HT folks.
------------------
Jeff

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
As Greg mentioned, Sound Mind Audio may be a very interesting visit. Brian Kurtz is the owner and the pictures in his newsletter are of his home. That's right, he has 8-9 systems set up in his house under obvious real-world in-home conditions. I found him when I was looking for a Lovan Center Director for my center channel speaker. He not only promptly ordered it for me, he insisted on delivering it himself. He came to my house and set it up for me. He also brought along several video and audio interconnects to play around with on my system, which we did for about an hour. He determined that my video was pretty excellent already and there wasn't much he could do for my speakers in the way of interconnects. I really have HT designed speakers and he is big into 2-channel audio. He is an extremely nice guy. He is mostly audio, but may have a little in the way of HT. For the audio buffs here in Austin he carries ProAc, Meadowlark, Red Rose Music(Levinson's new Co.) and a few other high end speakers with electronics to match I'm sure. He has a website at www.soundmindaudio.com
------------------
-Kevin

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Another store I'd like to visit is Audio Systems. I'll have to look them up to see where they are, but Magnepan's Web site ( http://www.magnepan.com
---
When should we do the meet? The answer may be contingent on when UT starts classes again. I'm not a student there, but several people from the previous two meets were (and may be out of town right now). I suggest we have the meet on a Saturday, 1-2 weeks after classes resume at UT. That way, the students among us will get to the meet before midterms and research papers distract them from HT... :)
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Greg -
Since you obviously possess some Audio Magic cables, I'm up for a cheap vs. expensive wire shootout in Austin. I propose a contest between the "decent but affordable" wire I use (Radio Shack Gold interconnects and speaker wire) and Audio Magic interconnects and/or wire.
If you're up for this, it should be an interesting "tweaker vs. geeker" moment in Austin. I won't be very disappointed if my interconnects and wires lose, though my bank account may be at risk if that happens...
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Hi all. Sorry I wasn't able to go to the last one, work made me fly up to NC. I should be able to go to the one in Jan. as long as it is on a Saterday. Just let me know. Also, let me know if you want me to bring any DVD's.
------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!
My DVD's

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
That day should work for me. So what damage are we going to do this time? :)
------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!
My DVD's

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Hey anyone going to the CES this weekend. I'm heading out Sat. morning to do the all day ironman trip and come back Sat. night. If anyone going to be out there let me know maybe we can meet for alittle lunch and discuss what cool new stuff we have seen.
Greg
PS I don't have my Audio Magic cables yet but I'm meeting my friend out at the CES and chat with him to see what he can do for me, so maybe I'll have some by the time of the meet.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
Just stumbled across this thread. Got room for one more at the meet?
I'm sort of both an old hand and yet also pretty new at this :) I helped a friend put together a pretty nice system a few years ago back in the UK, but have sort of let my interest slide a bit until recently. I'm building a house in South Austin and intend to convert the gameroom to a home theater as soon as my budget allows.
My website (in the sig below) has a small HT section where I list the equipment I'm planning to get hold of.
I work as a game developer, and have been in town for a bit over three years. I'm English but have lived in LA as well as Austin.
Anyway, that's just a brief introduction, I'd like to participate in the meeting (I've still got lots to learn) so let me know. Thanks!
------------------
Dave Smith
http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Dave -
You're definitely welcome at the meet. Only a few people have shown up in the thread so far, so I'm expecting a bunch more people should be there.
I looked at your Web site, and it looks like you have the same idea about houses that I do. When I checked out developments, I was impressed with the looks and layout of the David Weekley homes, but the prices were beyond unreasonable. And that was BEFORE everyone hiked prices by $30K this fall...
My place is also under construction, but in a different part of town. I went with Kimball Hill as my builder - they were offering some HUGE houses over by the Applied Materials plant (NE of US 290 and Harris Branch, about 4 miles east of I-35) at a good price. As soon as the place is finished, big-time home theater will be mine...
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Frank:
There's definitely still room for more people to show up. Surprisingly, I haven't seen a lot of people from the previous meets join this thread yet.
Everyone:
So far, we have: Doug_H, Michael Hudson, Korey McAlpin, Kevin Hunt, Greg Risley, Jeff Chumbley, Dave Smith, Frank Tang, and myself. That's 9 people so far - so I think we have critical mass and can make some more concrete plans.
I propose we have the meet on Saturday, January 20. Any suggestions for a lunch place?
Kevin Hunt is working with his contacts to arrange a demo for us to visit. I'll let him update us on those plans.
Anyone willing to throw open their home and show off their HT?
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks