What's new

Austin Movie Nights! (1 Viewer)

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
The Atom is street legal in most states. Even California with a SB100 exemption. Bumpers are not mandatory. Fenders are though. :)
I'm up for whatever event is planned. We need to get something together.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Four doors! Bah-humbug! My Mini has two doors and a sunroof. I'll just drop the wee one in the from the top should the need arise in the future :)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I'm staying home this year. Didn't have real compelling reason to go this time, but I think I probably will hit up CEDIA in September. Let us know all the cool new stuff. I see a lot of the audio gear is in a different location than previous years. I'm curious to hear well the new digs work out for people.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I will have 3 full days so I should get to hit alot of it.

Hey I'm thinking for a next Austin meet we should do a 1080p vs 720p projector shootout. Anyone local sportin one of the new 1080p units. I've got the Toshiba HD-DVD player but it only does 1080i and I have a PS3 for Blu-ray 1080p. Just an idea to mull over. Maybe I will be seduced by a new projector at the show.

Later

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
So, Greg, how was CES? I read a few of the reports and it seems like there wasn't a whole lot of news in the high-end beyond a few more manufacturers getting a clue and integrating pc connectivity into their gear. The mainstream market seems to be marching forward quickly though.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I was a little let down. I was really shocked to see some of the major players like Runco and Meridian not using either HD disc format for their main demo rooms. Instead they both used their up-converting scalers to show standard dvds, and they also used a HD cut from ABC at 720p of Pirates of the Caribbean, which was in a cropped 1:85 size instead of 2:35.

The best thing I saw out there other than the Blue Man Group show, was from WoWee, makers of Robosapien. They had Robo-Panda and..........................wait for it........................Robo-Elvis baby.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Robo Elvis Baby...ooohh yeaahhh...groovy!

I really missed not going to CES this year. I think I'll definitely hit CEDIA to get my tradeshow fix. Too bad there wasn't more cool stuff to see this time around.

As for this weather, I've been in Texas for too long. I actually thought it was cold yesterday.

pmeyer

Agent
Real Name
Paul Meyer
Hey, all. I tried this in the Austin DIY thread (which appears dead but I'm hoping to revive). Leroy pointed me here.

I'm looking for local Austin resources. I'm ripping apart an existing home theater put in by the previous owner, expanding it to 16x21, improving sound isolation, and adding screen/projector/stage/riser/seating. Check out /meyerzone.net/meyerht/ for the 'before' pictures. (No link, I don't have 10 posts yet).

Things I could use help with:
1) pointers to local sources for seats and acoustic wall treatment supplies (linacoustic or equivalent)
2) Finding a good consultant to come out and help analyze my acoustics and come up with a plan for speaker placement, acoustic treatment, bass traps, etc. I'm looking to do the work myself.
3) high quality video calibration services (front projector when I get one, my pioneer elite 610hd now).

Any pointers? The acoustic stuff seems like black magic to me, or at least requires equipment I don't have (I've just got a sound meter and a 6 year old AVIA DVD).

By the way, I just tonight successfully resoldered my Pioneer Elite 610HD RPTV power board to get rid of the 'blue-flash' problem. If anybody has a 510/610/710 with power off or blue-flash issues, it can be fixed! Cheap!

Thanks,

Paul Meyer

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Hi Paul,
I saw your pics of your HT area. Looks like you might ask Dr. J for his assistance on all acoustic / sound setup. I am sure he is your best bet. I am glad my HT room is basic square. I think 90% of us all run projectors. I own a h31 and really enjoy what has put out for the price I got it for. Big difference from my old Z1. Also welcome!! :)

pmeyer

Agent
Real Name
Paul Meyer
Actually, I'm hoping my room being non-square helps. The angled wall section and the stepped ceiling should help avoid big standing waves.

I'm gaining confidence in the acoustic stuff I as I read more. I can build bass traps (I've got a full woodshop in the garage), and it sounds like front wall and some amount of sidewall absorbing are the ticket. I'll model it in CARA and see what I get.

I'm holding off on projector decisions. Things seem to change every month. right now, I'm debating between a 3-chip LCOS 1080p (Pearl, RS1, etc.) or going with a 720p single-chip DLP (Mits 1000, etc) for a year or so until the prices drop/luminence increases. Until I get the room further along, I'm focusing on the sound side.

Thanks for the response,

Paul

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Actually, I'm hoping my room being non-square helps.
Well I look as it like a pool table. You know when you hit the cue bacll and bounce the 8 ball in the corner pocket, you hope it gets in the corner pocket. Its all angles and math. ;)
But you can make it happen, just get w/ Dr. J. He'll run all the calculations ect..
Good luck man!

pmeyer

Agent
Real Name
Paul Meyer
Pool table is a good analogy for the reflections. But just checking: in this case non-parallel walls are an advantage, right? I've always assumed that (minimizing standing waves), but acoustics appears to be so complicated I'm checking that basic assumption.

Paul

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Was thinking of hosting a poker night on Friday. Any interest? I just realized it is Easter weekend, so folks may have plans. But, if we can gather a critical mass, lets do it. Otherwise maybe next weekend? I have a new poker table that I'd like to break in properly! :)
[edited to remove Saturday night option.]

pmeyer

Agent
Real Name
Paul Meyer
If that is an open invitation, I'm possible for Friday, busy Saturday. It'll be a nice break from my insulation work (framing inspection tomorrow! see pictures in my link below)

I've been told that I've GOT to see your theater.

How serious are you guys on the poker front? What stakes typically? If I need to take out a second mortgage, I need a few days lead time and possibly check with my wife.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
It is an open invitation. Turns out that Saturday was just booked by my social director. :) For Friday, I have one yes and two 'possibles' in addition to myself.
I'd like to get to 6 or more yes's.
Our stakes are pretty low. It's a friendly game of Texas Hold 'em. I'm usually one of the big losers and I don't think I've ever lost more than $40. Usually, buy-ins are $5 or $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks