What's new

Audssey setup from Denon AVR-790 (1 Viewer)

z32type

Agent
Real Name
Juan Pimentel
Is it me or does the Audssey auto setup make things less dynamic? It tuned my sub to the lowest setting -12.0db and everything else on my speakers all negative front right is -2.0db front left is -1.0 center -4.5db surround right -5.0db and surround left -4.5db.

The sound is less dramatic and not as intense when at least gain it to postive. When I play music theres not too much bass, seems like the sound is dead and the speakers itself don't sound as detailed. Even the dynamic volume makes everything too complicated its like when I set it for Evening I can hear every detail,but its just so compressed louder sounds are quiet down and when I put it on day everything is just too loud and cannot hear the quiet sounds. I understand the whole meaning of Dynamic Volume,but I just keep it off from now on.

Does anyone go through the Audssey set up? As far as the speakers go its okay,but the subwoofer is just too quiet. I'm not too sure since I'm still a beginner. Im not sure if I should trust my ears or trust Audysseys technology. From what I learn Audssey doesn't make crappy speakers sound good, it makes great speakers from sounding crappy in a room.

I am running Athena Technology Audition 2 AS-F1 Front speakers, AS-C1 Center, ( Pioneer bookshelves for surround back temporary) and I am running a tweaked out/custom Audiosource SW15 powered subwoofer which is a great sub btw for the buck with little tweaks like adding a bigger guage wire from the amp to the driver and adding dampening sheets inside the enclosure.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by z32type ">[/url]

Does anyone go through the Audssey set up? As far as the speakers go its okay,but the subwoofer is just too quiet. I'm not too sure since I'm still a beginner. Im not sure if I should trust my ears or trust Audysseys technology. From what I learn Audssey doesn't make crappy speakers sound good, it makes great speakers from sounding crappy in a room.

I am running Athena Technology Audition 2 AS-F1 Front speakers, AS-C1 Center, ( Pioneer bookshelves for surround back temporary) and I am running a tweaked out/custom Audiosource SW15 powered subwoofer which is a great sub btw for the buck with little tweaks like adding a bigger guage wire from the amp to the driver and adding dampening sheets inside the enclosure.[FONT= Arial][/FONT]

[/QUOTE]
No auto setup is perfect. I use Pioneer's MCACC auto calibration. I have confirmed it with my copy of Video Essentials and a Radio Shack SPL meter.

When I got my latest subs, I ran MCACC and there was very little low end. Music sounded great. Almost like my old car stereo but action movies lacked punch. The first step in correcting this was measuring my sub's in-room response. I had a huge 14db peak in the response at 55hz. When MCACC was setting up my sub's level, it used this peak as the reference point. I added a parametric EQ to flatten my response from 100hz to 17hz. When I ran MCACC again, the bass was back!

Measuring your sub's response takes about an hour and the only thing you pay for is an SPL meter. I had one of those. I had Excel on my work PC. I downloaded a test tone generator and made a CD of the appropriate sine waves at the frequencies to match the spreadsheet. My parametric EQ cost about $100 and was well worth it.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Turn the volume down on the sub (the actual knob on the sub) and re-run Audyssey. Make sure you use all the mic positions (6 or 8). Start at your primary seat and move it around a few feet each time.

If the sub is too loud to start, Audyssey cannot properly adjust it.

Search this forum for my name and Audyssey. I have a guide in one of the posts. Then report back with all the settings.

BTW - Other then the -12, don't worry about the other numbers. Audyssey is trying to make all your speakers play at the same loudness.

z32type

Agent
Real Name
Juan Pimentel
Ok so how exactly how I do this? Do I just turn the volume knob on the sub all the way down or to a certain level? So let me get this straight. If the volume knob is down to the lowest setting. Wouldn't Audssey not detect a sub at all? Lets say if I did leave it at a certain level like at 1db on the volume knob. Will audssey set the proper settings on my Denon?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

z32type

Agent
Real Name
Juan Pimentel
That is quite alot of info jus to setup the subwoofe.I usually have it on the middle though. But i will experiment on the volume adjustment and audssey. See if it will sound better.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The post you are responding to is 13 1/2 years old. I don’t know why you purchased a 14+ year old receiver, but I suspect something is wrong with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is a $500 AVR from 2009. It predates 4K. This is in the realm of not even worth taking for free (I say as someone who’s tried to give away 10+ year old home theater gear).

I’d look for a new $500 Denon for search out a used AVR from the past couple years to save money for powering a new home theater. I definitely would build up from a anything from the HD transition era.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did you run the Audssey setup in your room?

Try turning Audssey off and see if you like it better. I can't tell you exactly how to do that since all my stuff is packed away at the moment (long story :() and it's newer so who knows.... And I agree, this thing is really old. It probably has some issues.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks