What's new

AUDREY ROSE coming from Arrow (1 Viewer)

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Just saw the announcement that a proper reissue of Robert Wise’s 1977 horror masterpiece (and it is truly one in every sense of the word) of AUDREY ROSE is coming in November 2022.

For a horror movie that’s rated PG, it certainly is one horror movie that will leave you emotionally shaking long after the final credits. Despite the fact that it was not a blockbuster (we have Luca$ to thank for that), it is a classic example of ”horror beyond imagination”. There is very little music score in this piece (many of the scary scenes carry them on their own without Michael Small’s score), but watch this film to the very end. It is one notch above POLTERGEIST as the greatest modern-day horror film ever made…not even THE EXORCIST can hold a candle to this film.

I am surprised Arrow (of all companies) got a hold of this one, not Criterion or Scream Factory, and maybe rightfully so. since Arrow already released epic Special Editions of LEGEND and the original DUNE last year.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Audrey Rose was released on blu ray by Twilight Time so I imagine most die hard fans of the film already have it on blu ray. Still, I'm sure most die hard fans (as die hard fans will do) will be more than happy to double dip for the extras and a spiffed up transfer.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, to call Audrey Rose "the greatest modern day horror film ever made" seems excessive. Personally, I'd call The Haunting Wise's horror masterpiece and I suspect most would agree.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This would have easily been a Shout/Scream Factory Collector's Edition release, a bit surprised they never released it themselves.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Audrey Rose was released on blu ray by Twilight Time so I imagine most die hard fans of the film already have it on blu ray. Still, I'm sure most die hard fans (as die hard fans will do) will be more than happy to double dip for the extras and a spiffed up transfer.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, to call Audrey Rose "the greatest modern day horror film ever made" seems excessive. Personally, I'd call The Haunting Wise's horror masterpiece and I suspect most would agree.
The HAUNTING is one terrific movie and a masterpiece for sure. Richard Johnson and co are very very good. The BD is excellent.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
What does that mean - a proper reissue? If it's not a new transfer then it's just what Twilight Time put out. As to a notch above Poltergeist and The Exorcist? Well, I think you're probably flying solo on that one :) Audrey Rose was a huge flop and it's one of Robert Wise's worst movies - bad script, horrible acting from John Beck and there's not a scary thing in it, at least for me there's not. The best thing about the film is Michael Small's score.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
What does that mean - a proper reissue? If it's not a new transfer then it's just what Twilight Time put out. As to a notch above Poltergeist and The Exorcist? Well, I think you're probably flying solo on that one :) Audrey Rose was a huge flop and it's one of Robert Wise's worst movies - bad script, horrible acting from John Beck and there's not a scary thing in it, at least for me there's not. The best thing about the film is Michael Small's score.
If it‘s true, then you know who to blame for it…some dimbulb named L-U-C-A-S. I stand by my opinion, though, having seen the film a couple of times already.

Coincidenally, POLTERGEIST is also coming to 4K.

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Imprint from Australia released Audrey Rose in March with a slew of different extras. Apparently, that version is a significant improvement over the Twilight Time release across the board and my guess is that Arrow is using the same scan. as Imprint.

Since Imprint's version is a pricier import, I guess the question is how much the differences in extras are for someone (and of course, how the two images end up comparing).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Imprint from Australia released Audrey Rose in March with a slew of different extras. Apparently, that version is a significant improvement over the Twilight Time release across the board and my guess is that Arrow is using the same scan. as Imprint.

Since Imprint's version is a pricier import, I guess the question is how much the differences in extras are for someone (and of course, how the two images end up comparing).
Below is the listed Bonus Material between Arrow's and Imprint's releases. Arrow is claiming they did a new 2K restoration from a new 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative. Other than that it appears differences in the audio commentaries and an isolated musical score is the only other major differences.

Arrow's Bonus Material:

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 2K restoration by Arrow Films from a new 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-Ray presentation
  • Original lossless mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by film critic Jon Towlson
  • Faith and Fraud, a brand new interview with magician Adam Cardone about reincarnation and belief in Audrey Rose
  • Then and Now, a brand new featurette looking at the New York locations used in the film
  • I’ve Been Here Before, archive visual essay by Lee Gambin looking at reincarnation in cinema
  • Investigator: The Paranormal World of Frank De Felitta, an archive interview with the author and scriptwriter of Audrey Rose
  • The Role of a Mother, an archive Interview with Marsha Mason
  • Hypnotist: Inside the score for Audrey Rose, an archive interview with film music historian Daniel Schweiger
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Christopher Shy

The Imprint Bonus Material:

1661663017711.png

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I would not be so sure the Arrow isn't a new transfer - I think you CAN be very sure if Imprint had used a new scan they'd have said so loud and clear. My guess is the Imprint used the old master that Twilight Time used. And you can thank ME for the isolated music track - they had nothing but and M&E track - I let them use our soundtrack master, which I'd found buried in the MGM/UA vaults.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would not be so sure the Arrow isn't a new transfer - I think you CAN be very sure if Imprint had used a new scan they'd have said so loud and clear. My guess is the Imprint used the old master that Twilight Time used. And you can thank ME for the isolated music track - they had nothing but and M&E track - I let them use our soundtrack master, which I'd found buried in the MGM/UA vaults.
I tried to state the facts as I know them without having a personal opinion on whether it's a new transfer or not. Arrow has a pretty good reputation, but like every other studio/company, they have made mistakes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks