What's new

Audio Problems On My Pioneer LD-V8000 LaserDisc Player *Help* (1 Viewer)

Trekkie313

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig
I bought a Pioneer LD-V8000 LaserDisc player for X-Mas and paid around $65 total for it. I kind of regret it after doing some more research and learning I could have gotten one with better picture quality, but too late now.
Anyways everything works fine except the audio, it keeps "cracking up and dropping out" at least 15 to 20 minutes into a film or doesn't play at all. Oddly enough my oldest LD which is Star Trek:The Motion Picture has the least amount of problems with its audio, but obviously suffers from minor "Laser Rot".
Can anyone help me with this problem? I really want to enjoy my LaserDisc player to its fullest potential.

Also does anybody know who I should contact about LaserDisc problems?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I'd send an E-Mail to Kurtis Bahr (do a search of the forum). He'll be able to give you some advice on what may be the issue.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The V-8000 is a marvellous machine, but it is an industrial player, not a home unit, so it has a lot of features you will probably never use, & lacks some you may want. I bought one which has had the AC-3 mod done, & am looking at modifying it for digital audio output as well.

That said, if the audio goes bad after the player has been turned on a while, the most likely problem is broken circuit traces or a loose connector somewhere, which make contact when cold but separate under thermal strain. If the video is not affected, then most likely the problem is in the audio boards. Any road, unless you're an experienced electronics tech, you will want to send it to somebody. There are Pioneer service centers which still do LD work, but their charges are high, & I've never been totally satisfied with their work. I trust Kurtis Bahr, who can also do some tweaking of the video while he's got the machine open (unless he diagnoses it as unsalvagable). I have an e-mail address for him, which I can PM you if you want, but he is a member here as I recall.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/196047/in-need-of-laserdisc-player-service-help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks