What's new

Audio Problem : Integrating TheaterTek, M-Audio, and regular computer sounds (1 Viewer)

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

First thanks for any help anyone can offer.
I'm using the M-Audio 2496 Soundcard, connected viz coax cable to my Outlaw 950 Preamp. And currently using the 7500 video card connected S-video to my TV (although when my Samsung 507 comes in, it will be DVI connected). Oh, Windows XP as well.

What I want to do is this...

Play DVD movies in DD or DTS, utilizing the digital coax and my stereo system speakers.
Play Windows Audio Media mp3's using the same.
When using my computer for any other reasons, I want to hear the sound out of my TV speakers.

So, I have a few questions/problems I've encountered.
Prior to TheaterTek 1.5, I used PowerDVD and could pass an audio 5.1 signal without a problem. I can't get it to work with TheaterTek. I haven't changed any wiring since then and have unistalled PowerDVD.

To let you know my settings/options...
Under Control Panel/Sounds/Audio, I have 4 choices, 3 of which start with M Audio Delta AP...and end with either S/PDIF, multichannel, or 1/2. (I've been setting it to S/PDIF) .. Are these the rights drivers for the 2496 sudio card? Same choices under Control Panel/Sounds/Voice and I chose the same S/PDIF.

Under Contol Panel/MAudio Delta Hardware, I haven't changed anything from when it was working and I think it is correct.

And Within TheaterTek, I keep choosing SP/DIF under the audio menu, and under that I have many choices... The two I'm not between are Direct SOund M Audio Delta S/PDIF and M Audio Delta S/PDIF. I'm not sure which to use here.

There is a signal being passed though it is prologic i think because that is what TheaterTek sometimes gives an error and defaults to.

*****UPDATE****

Well, I somehow got it to pass DD and DTS. Now there is about a 3 to 5 seconds delay in audio, with the video coming before the sound.
Any ideas?

OK

Assuming I can get that to work, the M-Audio card also has standard L/R Coaxial audio output connectors that I can connect directly to my TV. If I choose the Multichannel option under Control Panel/Sounds/Audio, it will pass the sound, but not under any other setting, and doesn't that setting preclude me sending a digital setting?

As anyone can see, I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

You will have to manually go into your settings for multimedia and select the analog outputs. You might also have to go into the maudio mixer and make sure that the analog output is not muted, and it turned up all the way.

When you're done, you'll have to go in and switch it back to SPDIF.

-Vince

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

Thanks for the response. I'll look for the driver. OTherwise I like the program and appreciate hearing about it from you initially.

Bummer about not being able to output two audio signals at the same time. Any way this can be done via additional soundcard or some such thing?

Chris

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

This is more a software issue than a hardware one. I use "multichannel" soundcards on a daily basis- and all of them support output routing to multiple sets of outputs at the same time- pending that the software allows it.

In this case, it is an issue of Windows. Windows allows you define a single output device for windows sounds. Some individual programs allow more extensive sound routing options- but most standard apps use windows routing for the sound.

Unless there is a hack for Windows allowing the windows audio router to send to multiple devices at once-- then you're stuck toggling.

-Vince

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Just as an update...
I found the solution to my problem.
Now, I can play Theatertek and it outputs to preamp via digital audio signal and every other noise on my computer from beeps to Windows Media Player goes through the TV speakers.
If anyone is interested... email me at [email protected].
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks