What's new

Audio output (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm sure there is a way to adjust the bass and treble which in some receivers effects the front left and right speakers only. I can't look into it right now since it's way past my bedtime.

Panoramic, Center Width, Dimension etc.
These adjustments are for the Dolby surround formats, ProLogic in particular.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
This is the first player I've seen with the 5.1 analog outputs, that didn't have distance and levels adjustments. Since the receiver is only for volume control, when using these connections, the player needs those adjustments. That's kinda stupid on Sony's part!
Oh well. Good luck!

mike_p_t

Agent
Gene,

So if you had ~$300 to spend on a new receiver, would you pick this one. Any concerns about the factory refurb?

How well do the automatic setting adjustments work with the microphone and Audessy (sp)?

So if my BD player does not decode DTS-HD MA but the receiver does, it will still work via HDMI if I set my player to bitstream, correct?

Thanks,

Mike

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
So if you had ~$300 to spend on a new receiver, would you pick this one. Any concerns about the factory refurb?
The RC160 is basically a 607 with 10 fewer watts per channel (you won't miss them) and no Sirrius/XM radio. Buying a factory fefurb from an Onkyo authorized dealer is better than buying a new one from an un-authorized one because you get a one year Onkyo warranty. I've bought from them before without any issues.

How well do the automatic setting adjustments work with the microphone and Audessy (sp)?
Most people/reviewers have had a great deal of success with Audyssey. My experiences have been mixed but I blame myself for the most part. You have to follow the directions to the letter for the best results and lets just say I seem to have a short attention span! But when I got it to work properly the results were very satisfying.

So if my BD player does not decode DTS-HD MA but the receiver does, it will still work via HDMI if I set my player to bitstream, correct?
That is correct. And it's generally better to let the receiver do the decoding although it works fine when the player does it to.

BTW, just curious. What speakers and sub woofer do you have?

mike_p_t

Agent
So just to clarify, you think the RC 160 would be my best bang for the buck, correct?

Also, in regards to setting my set to bitstream, is 24p what I want? That looks like my only option video wise.

My 5 main speakers are Athena Point 5 MKII. I got these for $159 brand new from amazon.com a few years ago. These are not too widely known but got pretty good reviews. I think new they sold for around $500. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. My subwoofer is a Sony SA WM250. I paid $69.00 for it at Circuit City when I got the new speakers. I don't know much about this stuff. I just want something that sounds decent without spending a fortune. It all sounds pretty good to me. The only reason I am doing all of this is because my 8 year old RPTV died last week. Definately no audophile or anything like that. A friend of mine has a turntable that looks like a spaceship. He also has two 3 foot speaker cables that he paid $3500 for. That seems a little extreme to me. It sounds good. I am just not sure it sounds THAT good if you know what I mean.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
So just to clarify, you think the RC 160 would be my best bang for the buck, correct?
It would save you about $100 over a new 607.

I also like the Denon 1610/590. A little less power but a more advanced version of Audyssey. It retails for about $349.

Also, in regards to setting my set to bitstream, is 24p what I want? That looks like my only option video wise.
According to my OPPO manual, some theatrical films were recorded at 24 frames per second. Your dvd player will convert the 60Hz signal back to 24P for a smoother picture. But your display has to support 24P also. If it doesn't then leave it set to off.

My 5 main speakers are Athena Point 5 MKII.
I have an old beat-up set of the original Athena Point 5's somewhere in my closet. Bought them at BB many years ago. They were display models. The drivers and tweeters are in real good shape but the cabinets and grills sure took a beating. I agree that they sound very nice for what they are. Athena was a very good speaker for the price back in their day. All but gone now.

I've also read good things about Sony subs. Never heard one though.

mike_p_t

Agent
I just spent some time on a BDP S-300 forum. It seems like everyone is confused over this whole audio thing. Their questions were exactly like mine. From what I read, I am basicly stuck with the decoding that is on the player. I also read that TrueHD is only available through HDMI, and not the 5.1 analog outs.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I also read that TrueHD is only available through HDMI, and not the 5.1 analog outs.
I guess through the firmware update they can configure it anyway they wished but it would really surprise me if TrueHD was only available through HDMI. If so then why did they bother to put the 5.1's there in the first place . But someone who has an S300 probably knows more about it then I do.

mike_p_t

Agent
I agree that that does not make sense. Maybe I will ask them theire reasoning.

BTW how has your Mitsi DLP holding up? I am thinking about getting one of their current ones.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
BTW how has your Mitsi DLP holding up? I am thinking about getting one of their current ones.
Well....there is one issue with this particular series, the xx631 (mine is a 52631). The heat sensor causes the tv to display a message indicating the tv will shut down in a few minutes-check the air-flow. Very annoying .

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes, those cables from PartsExpress would work just fine. Get them if you haven't already done so.

It's a good thing PartsExpress isn't close to where I live. I'd go broke!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks