What's new

Audio output with DVD (1 Viewer)

Patrice D.

Auditioning
I would like to know if there is an optimal configuration when I'm listening a DVD? I have a NAD C370 (stereo integrated amp) with a pair of Totem Arro and can only listen in stereo mode.

Is there a difference between the Stereo Surround and Dolby Digital when I'm doing the setup before viewing the DVD? Which mode should be the optimal one in stereo for such configuration?

If I have the choice, should I look for DVD with Stereo Surround 2.0?

Thanks.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
If you can, you should try to use the setup options on your DVD player to default to straight stereo all the time. "Stereo surround" is, I believe another term for Dolby Stereo which is a surround format. As you are listening in stereo only you should be selecting the stereo track when playing DVD's. That way you will be sure that your analog-out L/R jacks deliver full stereo sound. Virtually all DVD's have a stereo only selection.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
All DVD players will downmix Dolby Digital surround sound tracks to two-channel stereo, but it's not always an optimal mix. If the particular DVD you are watching has a Dolby Surround 2.0 track, select it instead of the 5.1 track. If the disc does not have a 2.0 track (not all do), you'll have to make do with the downmix.

Your DVD player also might have some options in its set-up menu. I know my Sony allows me to tell it if I don't have surround, and I believe it will do a better job of mixing the surround material into the 2.0 analog outputs. I've never needed to use this option, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks