What's new

Audio Calibration question... (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
My reciever (onkyo 898) has a audio calibration setup, which has a noise for adjustments. When I calibrate with the receiver's level and then play with the Avia disc the levels don't match up.

Setup, using noise from reciever, calibrate each speaker to give 82db.
FL - 82
FC - 82
FR - 82
SR - 82
SC - 82
SL - 82

Put in Avia play channel calibration sounds and front speakers all basically match up, but rear channels don't left and right rear don't even match each other. Both surround channels are lower than the front levels.

Avia results:
FL - 72
FC - 74
FR - 72
SR - 74
SL - 71

Why/how could this be? I would think that a reference tone for both would be the same, but it's not. I'm not saying that the tone on the reciever at 80db should also be 80db from a dvd when the reciever is at the same volume, but the level should be at the same relative level, no?

And which method should I use to do the calibration? Is one better than the other, the both aren't the same, that's obvious.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Arrrgh, that thread adds to my confusion. I don't think it answered my question. I'll try the Avia and VE calibration and testing. If I can find two sources that are more or less equal I'll go with that.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
ok. I think what people are saying is just forget about receiver tones and rely on the calibration disc. A balanced system is the goal, isn't it? The theory is playing the test disc in the DVDp follows the digital path thru the components that you will be using for HT.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in summary, you want to calibrate via the dvd test disc. that way you "account" for the entire signal path.
dvd disc --> dvd machine --> interconnects --> receiver...etc
if you only calibrated via the receiver, you would ignore at least three possible "links" in the signal path.
btw - maybe adding the disc itself is overkill, but hopefully you get my point. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks