What's new

Attention, "alot" is not a word. (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Are you sure about this?

Edit: I re-read your post and see that you mean to say that some incorrectly believe that "of" is meant by "'ve." The second word in the correct contraction, as you pointed out, is "have."

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Since "alot" of the time I am accessing the HTF when I am on dialysis and "therefor" only have the use of one hand, I do not apologize for typos or "mispellings."

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
I know the use of "alot" is incorrect. I always instruct the spellchecker to ignore it as I happen to like it. I like the non-word alot alot. It has a nice ring to it. Had no idea it was offending anyone. Wonder if any of the other non-words I use do also.

This ain't no freakin' term paper for cryin' out loud!

ps, the spellchecker said "spellchecker" is not a word.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
What fun! As a self-appointed grammar cop (who would never think of correcting someone on an informal message board in a thread having nothing to do with spelling and grammar), I appreciate the opportunity to vent.

There's also no such word as “alright,” though there is such a word as “already.”
The errors with spelling and grammar on this forum are nothing compared to what I see on others.
Absolutely! Everyone take a bow!

However, during all the “I wish I was..." threads, I had to take the After Hours Lounge in small doses. I wish I could show you the claw marks on the arms of my chair. I wanted to start a thread titled, “I wish I was able to use the subjunctive mood,” but I was afraid it might actually become popular, and then I'd have to leave AHL altogether.

(Yes, “altogether” is a word. ;))

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, Hunter! :) It is, of course, worth pointing out that the English language is in a constant state of flux. In my defense, that I subscribe to an early 20th-century doctrine regarding the word "alright" is an indication not of my pedantry, but of my age. :)

One thing I find amusing is that if a sitting U.S. president says it, it must be a word. That's how we've come to adopt words like "normalcy" and "nucular" into the American English lexicon.

Cees, you amaze me. I would never think of participating in a thread about usage and grammar in a non-native language. Once again, you show that your grasp of English is alencompassing.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
To me the all-time grammar mistake champ is "your" instead of "you're". This one is so bad you even see it on signs and advertisements, which makes the business look incredibly stupid.

- Jack

brentl

Senior HTF Member
MAN I'd hate hear the complaints if this were a board using text messaging!!

Brent
Relax!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
To me the all-time grammar mistake champ is "your" instead of "you're". This one is so bad you even see it on signs and advertisements, which makes the business look incredibly stupid.
A similar one is the use of an apostrophe before the "s" to indicate a plural: driver's wanted. (shudder)

E

Eric Kahn

the grammar and spelling police need to understand that not all of us have a degree in literature or english, some of us did not even finish college

some of us (me) never saw a point in diagraming a sentence and promptly forgot all of that stuff 2 seconds after leaving high school

a long sentence for me at work would be
"chiller 2 went down on high ambient again" or "3A in B bldg is stuck on second floor" all scrawled out on a piece of copier paper in handwriting (printing actually since I can no longer write long hand or cursive, nor can I read it very well anymore due to never seeing it any more) that would make the average first grader cringe

If I had access to a computer and a printer or even a typewriter ( I think there is still one in the entire facility), they would get nice printed notes since I am very aware of my crappy writing

and my writing in this forum, or any other forum that I am a member of is "alot" ;) closer to what some people would call normal english than my speech, which you could class as "early redneck truck driver" as I tend not to type the obligatory curse word I am used to hearing (and using at times) every forth word.

And my punctuation and sentence structure also suck :D

I try very hard to make sure that what I type is understandable and spelled correctly, but as I have said above, not all of us have jobs where we do any writing and even with a thousand or so books laying (lieing?) around my house, I still can not spell or write a grammatically correct paragraph.

and the worst part is that I tend to write around (not use) words that I use in normal talking because I do not know who to spell them, most of the forums I am on do not have a spell checker like this one, and I do not own a dictionary to even try to look them up.

When you get done grading this post and giving it an F-, take a deep breath and lighten up and not worry about it since life is too short for grammar mistakes in a forum to be bothering you

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
A similar one is the use of an apostrophe before the "s" to indicate a plural: driver's wanted. (shudder)
Oh yeah that drives me nuts too. In fact at a restaurant I saw a combination that said "Your going to love our dessert's!" Made me cringe.

At least they spelled dessert right though.

- Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks