What's new

At a lower volume level, do bigger subs make a difference? (1 Viewer)

Darth Squider

Auditioning
Real Name
K.
I realize the bigger subs have a higher volume and output that the smaller ones but if you were watching a movie at around 85-90dB, would a SVS PB-2000 feel and sound the same as a PB-16 Ultra?

My room measures approx 2500ft3 and I just purchased a pair of PB-2000 Pro's which sound fantastic but I can't help to wonder if a pair of 3000s would give me more 'chest thumping impact' at the same listening level. I'm guessing the PB-Ultra 16's might but my room size won't allow me to go that large. After calibration and setup, the Denon receiver is set at approx. 70% with the subs set at -15 on the app for a comfortable listening level during movies, anything louder and my house feels like it's falling apart. The part in Aquaman when he goes to get the trident scared the crap out of me but had me smiling from ear to ear at the same time.

As we all know, bass is addictive but would it be a waste of money to get bigger subs if I'm not going to be at full volume on any of them?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
After calibration and setup, the Pro's are set at approx. 70% at a comfortable listening level during movies
What do you mean by "set at approx 70%"? There tends to be confusion about how subwoofer levels actually work. Their level is a combination of output from the receiver and gain of the sub's input. When one is increased, the other has to be decreased. Usually having the gain on the sub at 70% is not optimal, since that means the signal out of the receiver is lower than it ideally should be, which has some disadvantages. A lower setting on the sub is typically better, with higher output from the receiver. It does NOT mean the sub is only working at 70% capacity, which is where the confusion often is.

Darth Squider

Auditioning
Real Name
K.
What do you mean by "set at approx 70%"? There tends to be confusion about how subwoofer levels actually work. Their level is a combination of output from the receiver and gain of the sub's input. When one is increased, the other has to be decreased. Usually having the gain on the sub at 70% is not optimal, since that means the signal out of the receiver is lower than it ideally should be, which has some disadvantages. A lower setting on the sub is typically better, with higher output from the receiver. It does NOT mean the sub is only working at 70% capacity, which is where the confusion often is.

After reading my initial post, I see the confusion as it is misleading, I apologize. My receiver volume is set between 65-70 on a 0-100 scale on the Denon 3600 (I don't use reference scale as it confuses my wife), the subwoofers are set at -15 on the app volume. During initial calibration with Audyssey, I had to raise it from the midpoint of -30 on the SVS app to -15 to reach 80dB to start the calibration.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At the most basic, subwoofers have two characteristics. How loud they'll go and how low they'll go. You're not challenging the loudness, but a better subwoofer should go lower.

My thought is always, would a single, much better sub do a better job in most ways? For example, a pair of PB-2000 Pros is $1,800, while a single SB16 Ultra is $2,000. In my case, I'd probably go with the single SB16 Ultra. The footprint on sealed subs is more home appealing, and since you're not stressing the sub for output, you gain some extension and control with the sealed sub over ported.

The whole single vs. dual subs is a heated debate with no clear solution. There are devoted camps, and rarely is anyone willing to even consider the pluses and minuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks