What's new

Aspect ratios and projectors (1 Viewer)

Stephen Bort

Agent
Hi, all, I'm new to the world of projectors, and I'm just curious as to what happens in the following situations. Assuming a 16:9 screen, please help me fill in the blanks:

1:1.78 animorphic: Fills the whole screen
1:1.78 non-animorphic: XXXXXX
1:2.35 animorphic: Fills the screen vertically with letterbox bars on top/bottom
1:2.35 non-animorphic: XXXXXX
1:1.85 animorphic: XXXXXXX
1:1.85 non-animorphic: XXXXXX
1:1.66 animorphic: XXXXXX
1:1.66 non-animorphic: XXXXXX

Thanks!

SimiA

Second Unit
Some of how the picture is displayed will depend on the units internal scaler, the STB you use, whether it has stretch mode, or you're watching an SD or HD signal, or DVD player your using, how the movie was shot etc....
Vb

Oupei

Agent
I have an infocus 5700, and I can only speak for my projector but here goes:

the display options I use the most on my projector are:
4:3 - interprets the picture as a 4x3 image, puts black bars on the sides

16:9 - interprets the picture as a 16x9 image, fills the entire screen

letterbox - interprets the picture as a 16x9 (or wider) image, cuts off the top and bottom of the image and displays the middle as a 16x9 image, filling the entire screen.

so for all the anamorphic ones, I'd use 16:9 and for all the non-anamorphic, I'd use the letterbox. You'd just lose a little bit from the top and bottom of the image with 1.66 letterbox (about 4% if my calculations are correct).

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
My projector has a zoom feature on it like most projectors. It's a 4:3 projector on a 16:9 screen. I used to watch DVD's set to whatever format it was in. I've decided more recently I don't care for blackbars on the top and bottom so now I zoom in the picture to fill the entire 16:9 screen. The picture is now big and I feel I'm not watching a slice even though I've lost some picture on the sides.
For 4:3 I hung my projector from a track used for pocket doors so I can slide the projector forward to view 4:3 within the 16:9 screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks