What's new

Asian Cinema on DVD (1 Viewer)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Great big pics of the cover art for the next Fox martial arts wave at:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...5571&n=1&burl=

I haven't seen the Brandon Lee film before -- any good?

The Hand of Death is a surprisingly solid early martial arts film from John Woo. Despite two pics of Jackie Chan on the box art cover, the actual star is superkicker Dorian Tan. Jackie has one of his best pre-fame supporting roles in this, though. Sammo Hung also is prominently featured, as a bad guy with big false teeth :) and Yuen Biao gets a moment on-screen too.

Just to change the subject, I watched Wong Kar-wai's 2046 on DVD the other day and loved it. (Though my fave WKW film is still In the Mood for Love.) I sure hope 2046 opens in the U.S. someday, but I haven't heard anything about a theatrical release here.

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
Has anybody seen the Eye 2? How does it compare to the first one. I watched The Eye as well as Abnormal Beauty and enjoyed both those movies.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I haven't seen The Eye 2, but I have heard that it wasn't that good....
I still want to see it though...

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Just say Beyond Hypothermia, those into gun fu with a some good character like in Hard Boiled and The Killer will love this film. That climax was just off the hook. Totally serious film with some really impressive action scenes. I should add that the dvd version I saw was not anamorphic, but the movie was at least good. I'll definetly will be looking out for a better version of this movie in the meantime.

That and an excuse to revive this thread, since it's such a great resource. Also saw Infernal Affairs for the first time and loved that.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Time to bring this thread back from the dead. It seems like just about every other movie I have bought for the past year is perefect for this thread.

First off a little bit of Miike. I bought and watched IZO and I am still trying to figure this one out. Once again, a beautiful strange movie (what else are you gonna get from Miike?). I know that there is some message between the lines in this movie, but I guess I will have to watch it again to figure it out.

I also saw City of Lost Souls from Miike, wich I thought was good, but the ending kinda felt incomplete.

I just bought Thunderbolt which I am looking forward to watching as I am a huge Jackie Chan fan, and this week I am going to pick up New Police Story.

Speaking of Jackie, can anyone tell me if there is a dvd release date for The Myth?

Thanks in advance,

tyler

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
OK, I finished New Police Story, and I liked it alot. Much more serious movie than some of Jackie's usual fare, but entertaining none the less.

I was thinking of picking up Three Extremes, anyone see this? Also, can anyone tell me where I can find a Region 1 version of Battle Royale?

Thanks in advance

tyler payne

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Battle Royale has a couple of different versions out there. I think many are region 0. Try HKFLIX.com or Pokerindustries.com. They should both have it.

Matt

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I got my Battle Royal R0 from DDDhouse.com

I have only watched Dumplings so far from 3 Extremes, very creepy. Any word on 3 Extremes 2?

I have really been slipping in watching my Asian cinema...

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

If you mean for a U.S. release than I don't think there is. The HK DVD has been out for months and can easily be had for less than $20 from HKFlix.com.

--Ian

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I saw the longer version of Dumplings at last year's Edinburgh film festival. Effective, horrifying, more than a little sexy and it felt rather complete. I imagine the Extremes version will have required a fair wad of clean lifts to make it fit in 40 or so minutes.

Are there decent releases of both versions?

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
OK, I need some help. I was at a pawn shop looking for some old atari games, and on their shelf of DVD's they had like three copies each of "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" Criterion Editions. The guy had them priced at $30 dollars each.

I know that these usually sell upwards of $90 on Ebay. But as most of his other movies were around $5-9, I asked why "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled were so expensive. The guy told me some crap about them being imported, and being rare.

So this guy is either selling pirated copies of these movies, or he has no idea what they are worth. Sorry I didn't have my phone or I would have taken some pics. I am probably gonna go back some time next week, but can anyone tell me how I can tell if these DVD's are legit?

thanks in advance,

tyler payne

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Here are a couple pics of a legit Criterion Hard Boiled:

The part of the disc that looks gold is just the reflection of stuff around it. The disc is silver except for the silk screened parts.

The Killer supposedly has a white ring around the center of the disc that is supposed to clue you in on the legitmacy of the disc. I don't own that one so i don't know.

--Ian

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Thanks for that Ian. The Killer and Hard Boiled Criterion are kinda my "Holy Grail" DVD's. I plan on going back on Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath. I think the cover of Hard Boiled had a white banner across the top where it said "The Criterion Collection", but I'm not certain.

Again thanks for the pics, I'll let you know later this week what I find out.

tyler payne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks