What's new

Asian Cinema on DVD (1 Viewer)

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
To all of the Canadian shoppers that have yet to buy the latest wave of the Fox/Fortune Star movies, Futureshop.ca has the following titles for $7.99. They have them in stock as of today 09/19/04 and its free shipping.

- Knockabout

- The Postman Fight back

- Iron Fisted Monk

- Battle Creek Brawl (you have to search using the English name of "Big Brawl"

Unfortunately, they don't carry Mr. Vampire.

Also Futureshop.ca does not ship items to the US.

Happy shopping.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Does anyone here know where I can find a complete list of all the Shaw Brothers DVDs released to date? I'm NOT looking for the entire Shaw library, just the films made available so far. My new shipment just came in and it puts me around 110-120 in total, so now I need to find out which ones Idon't have, and whether they're worth getting or not.

Any help, as always, appreciated

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Brian,

I'm not sure if this is what you looking for but here is the link for Celestial Shaw Brothers current releases and upcoming ones for Region 3 (I believe)

Celestial

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Well, it had to happen. DDDHouse has added Shaw Brothers titles to their weekly cheap sale for $35HK each (about $4.50 US) - nearly two-thirds off the original price. This could be a really good omen.

Titles so far:

LAND OF MANY PERFUMES

CAVE OF THE SILKEN WEB

(these are both Monkey King adventures)

THE MERRY WIFE

THE CONDEMNED

THE DANCING MILLIONAIRESS

Just a heads up for the fans. I can't wait for them to add more!

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
With Ron's permission, I've created the Official INTERNATIONAL DVD sale/trade thread in the Regional DVD area.

For my part, I'm offering several films that have been recommended in this thread. I hope everyone else here (and elsewhere on the forum) makes use of it in order to unload duplicates, disappointments, and the like. Everyone in this thread obviously shares an affinity for Asian films, and I hope we can form a good community of "international" traders.

Let me know what you think, and don't hesitate to participate!
smile.gif

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Canadian Wal-Marts have added more Fox martial arts titles to the $6.88 bin. Bought MR. VAMPIRE there last night, but they also had IRON-FISTED MONK. Didn't see any other titles from the latest wave, but other stores might have 'em.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
GOt a question for all of you who know more than I.
I saw a disk for a film called Shikoku and I was wondering if it was any good? It looked interesting....

Also, does anyone know the availability of the third Eko Eko Azarak movie? Haven't been able to dig it up anywhere.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
My girlfriend and I watched Il Mare last night. I purchased the $90HK Edko version from DDDHouse, which supposedly has the best subtitles, even if they do get chopped off on a number of occasions. There were only a few instances where a full word was missing, though; more often than not, it's a matter of a few letters, and it's easy enough to "fill in the blanks."

The ending did not work for me at all, mainly because I got too caught up in the "temporal paradox" aspect of it. The final scene raises a ton of questions that you probably aren't supposed to ask, since you should be caught up in the magic of the moment instead. The ending of Ditto, another Korean "time travel romance" film, makes much more scientific sense, but Il Mare is a stronger film overall. It helps if you aren't a fan of science fiction. :)

I can understand why it is so well regarded, and I did enjoy it, even if a lot of the cause-and-effect stuff is clumsily handled. My girlfriend enjoyed it, and she wants a Cola of her own now. I guess we're going to the pet shop and/or pound in the coming months...

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
DVD Answers have posted new information in regards to the upcoming wave

"20th Century Fox has released the artwork for three upcoming Sammo Hung discs. Unfortunately we don’t have any details on release dates or retail prices yet, and we’re not sure if these will be new versions of the films, or simply re-releases of the old DVDs. Obviously we’ll bring you more information as soon as it’s available, but until then here’s a look at the artwork for Winners and Sinners, Spooky Encounters, and Warriors Two."

Artwork covers link

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming Princess Blade SE from ADV? I may pick it up if the transfer is better than the previosu disk.

Also how about the R1 Ju-On?

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw Silmido, good action movie :D :emoji_thumbsup: I watched the HK version. I have a question is there a difference in picture quality between HK and Korean versions of the same movie? As far as Korean movies like Silmido and the Tale of two sisters are concerned. I'm wondering this because the HK releases are a better bargain price wise.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
For those interested, I am almost done with an article for my web site that pretty much shows the history of the "Apeal to Miramax" site and petition and where it stands now. What started as a strong movement to stop companies such as Miramx from releasing movies cut and with dubbed soundtracks has lost steam.
If anybody has any questions they would like answered on the issue, let me know and I will do my best to address them. I did a lot of my own research and am only writing what I have heard first hand or through friends. So everything written will be something you can trust.

Matt

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I finally decided to buy "Hero", aware of the fact that it contains less than perfect transfer for this beautiful looking movie. Althought is not the worst movie I have ever seen in DVD, Miramax missed the boat, in treating this movie so shabby again.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Has anyone heard how the R1 Infernal Affairs or Warriors of Heaven and Earth look?

I too picked up the Hero disk, now my 3rd version of it, but have not viewed it yet.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Actually, that cover of the R1 Infernal Affairs has me trembling with fright.

To get back to your question Chris, I have yet to see any reviews for those releases. I also want to know how the R1 transfer for Infernal Affairs compares to the my Mega Star version.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
That cover is awful isn't it?
I too have the MegaStar version.
I just like getting the R1's when a release is done well, you know WS, original language, no cuts. I feel it is a small part I can do to help show that there is a market for these films.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Last night I bought the DVD of Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi. I bought the Canadian version from Seville which I thought it will be similar to the recently released disc in the US with Zatoichi and Sonatine.

In the packaging there's no mention of the DVD containing Sonatine however it does indicate that is a 2 disc DVD. Foolishly, I went ahead and purchased it thinking that it was probably a packaging error and when I opened it at home, imagine my surprise of finding that the first disc is the movie and the second disc is the extras. No Sonatine and no it was not a packaging error.

I'm so mad at myself for being this stupid and should have just gone ahead and purchased this DVD at Amazon.ca.

Lesson learned.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Fox has announced the next wave, due 4/5:
Hand of Death, Spooky Encounters, Winners and Sinners, Legacy of Rage and Warriors Two

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks