What's new

Art and Packaging for large DVD sets...lame or cool? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I was just thinking how much I miss the nice boxes and packaging of our venerable laserdiscs. Do you think that the studios currently are doing justice to their big DVD sets like they used to with their laserdisc box sets? The best DVD sets I can think of are The Godfather and Toy Story Boxes. Anyone think that these are just fine, or should studios go all out and make giant box sets like the old Lion King Laserdisc, Toy Story, or even The Beatles Anthology? I personally would love to have something that size to show off as a collectors item rather than a small box. Maybe if Mr. Lucas ever gives us the entire Star Wars saga, we'll get something far grander than has ever been seen. I know the content will be great, but what about the packaging? A penny for your thoughts HTF!

AJ Garman

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The real problem is that very few poeple have racks for LD sized packaging. Japan DOES on occasion produce LD size packages (Memories and Chage & Aska: Millenium Concert Fukuoka Dome We're Home!) are 2 I know of.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
They can package it however they want. All the discs are ending up in regular keepcases anyway. Custom packaging is great to look at, but also very delicate, for the most part.

Wanna know what'd be GREAT? If manufacturer included keepcase cover art for those of us who're planning on moving our discs to them.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I'm also reminded of the Jurassic Park box that was around $100, sale price of $80. It came with Jurassic Park and the Lost World, soundtracks for each, and some other paraphanelia. This is a great example of nice packaging. Now if only those two discs had been in DTS...

AJ Garman

Brian G

Grip
I also love the big box sets of yesterday, I have several Limited Edition LD box sets, but I have only a few dvd box sets one being, *Twister: Special Limited Edition Collector's Box Set* by Creative Design Arts.

I practically stole the set from overstock.com a`few weeks ago wih a $20 off an already low price. Some others are actually tin sets, *Two-Lane Blacktop* & *The Beyond*, though I wish we could get the same cases as the R2 versions of ST: TNG , why are the locals being screwed on this one ?

It's utterly against all the principles and ethics that Star Trek stands for.

Lafe F

Second Unit
For a large set of discs, I prefer something subdued and non-descript like the Nightmare on Elm Street set, X-Files, Sopranos -- not something bold and colorful (like the James Bond discs) that'll stick out on your shelf like a sore thumb.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Give me my amaray/alpha cases, and forget about all these special packages and cardboard cases that eventually fall apart.

For 3-4 disc sets like Pearl Harbor Vista, etc, they should make thick 4-disc alpha cases.

Regards,

Dan

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
smaller the better.

Simpsons case is great! Keep the plastic keepcases. I want to maximize the package detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykayjohnson73
Recent bookmarks