What's new

Around The World In 80 Days (1956) (1 Viewer)

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
john a hunter said:
Doug,I don't think that it was ever shown in 70mm during its initial run at the Astoria. It has been well recorded that it was a 34mm print with a separate mag soundtrack. Todd shaved off a mill from a 35mm print to avoid paying import duty on the film. It was also shown with a different squeeze on the anamorphic lens to produce a 2.20:1 aspect ratio. A poor man's Todd AO!

Information on the unique Astoria Cinestage print on Marty Hart's site.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingto10.htm

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Robert Harris said:
Far from unique.

That's interesting. Cinestage prints weren't unique, but I was under the impression that the one(s) used for the London Premier was/were one of a kind.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Robert Harris said:
Are you quite certain that this is HD?

Afaik, there is no HD of the 30. Possibly 24, but who wants to see the 24?

This thread is reminding me of other TCM threads such as comments about The Pirate in HD. I'm unaware of any such animal.
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS is available in HDX on VUDU in the proper aspect ratio. Looks great...albeit with a few scratches. A totally different transfer from the DVD.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Ken Koc said:
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS is available in HDX on VUDU in the proper aspect ratio. Looks great...albeit with a few scratches. A totally different transfer from the DVD.
Is the clarity and detail better than the DVD?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I only watched about 15 minutes of it and now wish I recorded it. But it certainly looked HD. Night and day difference over ever other version I have seen. I was surprised to see it look so good since I thought I had read it needed a lot of work. It didn't have the faded and muddy colors of previous versions and looked quite crisp. So maybe a Blu is on the way from Warner Archive.

Robert Harris said:
Are you quite certain that this is HD?

Afaik, there is no HD of the 30. Possibly 24, but who wants to see the 24?

This thread is reminding me of other TCM threads such as comments about The Pirate in HD. I'm unaware of any such animal.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Randy Korstick said:
I only watched about 15 minutes of it and now wish I recorded it. But it certainly looked HD. Night and day difference over ever other version I have seen. I was surprised to see it look so good since I thought I had read it needed a lot of work. It didn't have the faded and muddy colors of previous versions and looked quite crisp. So maybe a Blu is on the way from Warner Archive.
Presumably from the same HD master used by Sky Movies in the UK about 2 years ago (which I still have saved on my Sky box) which looked brilliant and was definitely HD and identified as such.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
While looking for some articles on The Sound of Music, I found this article from AMC Magazine, June 1996.

AA80.JPG

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Nothing beats seeing the original uncut film on the giant deeply curved 70mm screen.I was lucky to have seen it many times in this format.Surely there are still some 70mm prints around?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Nothing beats seeing the original uncut film on the giant deeply curved 70mm screen.I was lucky to have seen it many times in this format.Surely there are still some 70mm prints around?
The last 70mm Todd-AO print I saw was all Pink but the 6 Track was Fab.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
With so many films out there, I never got the DVD, but would like to get a blu-ray if it's coming

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks