What's new

Are there any folks here with a JVC RS40/50/60 or X3/X7/X9? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if anybody here has one of the new generation of JVC projectors, and if so, how is it working for you.

:)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Do you have one yet? I have an RS40 coming, but I've been following the reports on AVS. There are some issues being reported about HDMI communications, lockups and lower than expected brightness. Lot's of good reports too. I guess I'll see mine when it gets here.

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered an X9 (RS60) in november. Got an X7 temporary while waiting on the X9 in january.

I came from a JVC HD1 and thought the leap to the X7 was quite huge. Better colors out of the box, excellent black level and satisfying sharpness (i have a total light controlled room).

When I got the X9 three weeks ago, I immediately noticed improved sharpness, a level I couldn't calibrate with the X7. Quite a difference. I don't know if it is other optics. But it is very sharp! I watched some titles on both the X7 and X9, that many reviewers had critizised for being way too dark. Bram Stokers Dracula and Last of the Mohicans. I thought BSD looked great on the X7 and LOTM was actually also quite stunning, though really dark in some sequences, where it was difficult to separate details.

I took a couple of hours calibrating the X9 with some settings, a user by the name Manni01 had used in a calibration thread and used his experiences to get acquainted with the projector. After a couple of hours, I thought I had managed to "squeeze it a little", though I hadn't touched the CMS at all.

And by golly, what a stunning image for LOTM. Forget screenshots, because they don't compare to what is "actually there". I'm a great admirer of Barry Lyndon and Kubricks use of only natural lightsources, effects I believe are very similar in several sequences in LOTM and it looks marvelous.

I have used LOTM as demo material for friends ever since and everyone has left stunned. I'm 95% a 2D viewer and use 3D to satisfy my daughters request. I have 4 3D nature movies, Resident Evil and A Christmas Carol. They look fine, the 3D is good, no ghosting (if you have warmed the projector up about 20 mins beforehand) and detailed. But the problem with "sunglasses" remain. Too little lumens. I don't like sitting with glasses on that sucks up the light and I miss the light and the true colors.

But anyway, it is a beast of a projector!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Well, I have heard that the new generation of JVC's are sharper. I hope the RS40 is sharp enough. I think there is some variability in convergence sharpness etc. I couldn't afford the RS50 if it was sharper, let alone the RS60. Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks