What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

April Love (1957) (1 Viewer)

Craig99

Grip
Real Name
Craig
Corny as heck (how about that "You got to do do do it yourself" number in the big cookout scene?) but one of my favorite "semi-musicals". Love the Kentucky scenery and Shirley Jones :) Pat Boone sings pretty well too. Being that the title song was such a big hit I'm surprised this still hasn't made it to DVD. Any news on this? I'm wearing out my "taped from AMC before that channel went bad" VHS copy.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
The absence of this one has baffled me. Back in my wayward video store youth, a lot more people requested 'April Love' than 'South Pacific' or 'King & I' or 'Carousel'. I don't know if it's the not-pc Pat Boone (they did release 'State Fair' 1962) or if there's some legal problem. Fox Movie Channel shows it with beautiful cinemascope opening credits that zoom to pan & scan at the movie beginning. I'd love to see it with commentary by Boone & Jones (while there's still time) and an isolated score track, and as a bonus include the original (also color) 'Home in Indiana'. Please FOX?!

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Absolutely. I transferred my LP soundtrack of this to CD recently, and it got me to wondering why this one has never been on home video. The least Fox could do is use a letterbox version on FXM.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Count me in as someone who would LOVE to see a DVD of this film. And for what it's worth, I think HOME IN INDIANA is even better (but I find myself missing the songs when I watch it!)

But the 2 Fox musicals I most wish to see on DVD remain WITH A SONG IN MY HEART (52) and THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE (56). Of course, MARGIE (46), CENTENNIAL SUMMER (46), TIN PAN ALLEY (40), I'LL GET BY (50) and OH YOU BEAUTIFUL DOLL (49) are not far behind in my wish list ;)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Good choices all! I've never seen "April Love" but would snap it up in an instant. I'd also love a DVD of "Mother Wore Tights" and more Grable and Faye. And what about "Poor Little Rich Girl," one of the very few Temple film they haven't released. It's got Alice Faye and Jack Haley in support.

What's not PC about Pat Boone? Is it now a crime to be white and religious?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
And where is "BERNARDINE" with Pat and Terry Moore !!!!
That has "LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND" in it !!!!!

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I'd like to see Fox do a box set of Pat Boone musicals: APRIL LOVE, BERNADINE, ALL HANDS ON DECK, MARDI GRAS, and the "dark horse" Terrence Fisher's THE HORROR OF IT ALL.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Also for the Pat Boone box: THE YELLOW CANARY from a Rod Serling script. Check out what Maltin has to say about it in his 2007 MOVIE GUIDE!

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Hi
I could also use widescreen copies of Bernadine, April Love and Mardi Gras. What are they waiting for????
Great Day
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks