What's new

AppleTV HD Video Rentals (1 Viewer)

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone tried renting either SD or HD movies through iTunes?

How is the quality? How long did it take to download the movie?

Thanks.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I've rented one HD movie: Batman Begins. I thought it looked great, but I don't have Blu-ray for comparison. It definitely looked better than DVD. It only took about two minutes before it said it was ready to be viewed (it showed 2% done at the time). It took about 100 minutes for the complete download (I watched it later). The download time is going to depend heavily on the speed of your internet connection. I've got Roadrunner cable, and it's pretty fast (don't know how fast, though).

If you want to do more research, there's a forum over at MacRumors dedicated to AppleTV:

Apple TV - Mac Forums

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The SD rentals are fairly good—better than most broadcast TV and almost as good as good DVDs. I consider the HD movies to be more or less about as good as satellite HD and not as good as Blu-Ray.

I don’t worry about the download time, but if what you want is to decide to watch a movie after dinner and start right away, you will be disappointed unless you have a pretty fast internet connection.

One thing I’ve noticed is that you can’t expect movies to stay around forever. They seem to come and go without any pattern I can discern.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
I've got Fios. Rented several HD movies. Takes less than a minute before it's ready to go - pretty much works flawlessly. I don't think the picture is as good as a movie on HBO high def (again, on Fios). But a little better than a regular DVD. Technology is definitely ready for primetime - assuming your internet connection is good. Now they just have to work on the content availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks