What's new
World Wide Stereo

Apple to Support HD DVD - The Alliance Is Breaking (1 Viewer)

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
According to DVDTown, First a Blu-ray supporter only, Apple is now likely to add HD-DVD support as well to their next OS release, named Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, scheduled for release early next year.

It is also believed that they will add support for both formats in their upcoming new version of their Final Cut Pro video editing software, scheduled for release mid next year. Read the full article here: DVD Town

Is an announcement from Disney far behind?

What could they be thinking?

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Um,

I really don't think Apple counts for much. Their market share is probably lower than HD-DVD's, and they're not exactly a "Mover and shaker" once you get past the IPod. In honesty, I don't think I've even seen an apple outside of a store in 20 years.

I've got the HD-DVD add on for X-box 360 preordered, but I'm still going mainly BR. Apple doesn't really instill confidence in me.

In fact, given Apple's history(Pretty much everything but IPod), I'd say it's more likely to be a nail in HD-DVD's coffin than anything else. Apple's really not well known for being on the right side of a format war...

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Mark your words. Apple has pretty much set computer standards in the last 10 years.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I don't understand the negativity either. More industry support for any HD format is a great thing in order for them to become widely accepted.

Apple's support announcement may not make a great difference as far as the install base of HD DVD movie playback devices is concerned. However, more computer users will now have a choice of which high-capacity optical storage media they want to favour, and this will inevitably lower prices of computer HD DVD and Blu-ray writers as well as writable media.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

hello ? computer standards ? where? in US ? maybe......, not in Europe....,
few DTP shops here, otherwise NO APPLE around.....

Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

how in the WORLD that mean ALLIANCE IS BREAKING ?

I know you are trying to get every possible rumour in the way that DISNEY and all BR supporters suddenly will go HD-DVD, with all rumours at avs forum..

Marek

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't be so quick to label Apple computer products an insignificant contribution in Europe. They are certainly well-known here and probably bought and used in similar proportions when compared to other platforms as in the USA.

Traditionally, Apple products have been favoured in working environments with narrow, very specific requirements (of which desktop publishing is just one). Such Mac users are going to be among the first to want to take advantage of large-capacity optical storage formats. I see this announcement as rather good news, creating healthy competition, regardless of which format you support for HD movies. (Actually, shouldn't this thread be in the HD Hardware section?)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Indeed Apple has traditionally been big in Europe especially in schools and in the publishing trade, as well as among other graphic artists. Apart from those who simply don't want to own anything PC for mysterious but fanatic reasons, of course. :)

(And yes, I'll move this thread to the HD Hardware section.)

Cees

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Cees, with all due respect this is also about software. Plus, Bob Iger's earlier comments which seemed to leave the door open to HD DVD and the Steve Jobs/Pixar/Appple connection is not really a stretch. They may be re-thinking their exclusive BD support strategy.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Steve JOBS is not IN the position to force Pixar movies to HD-DVD
biggiest shareholders does not mean that if if say go HD-DVD, Disney and Buena Vista will sitt down and without word they will go when he want to go... it's not the way shareholders can run companies....

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Yes Cees, you are right from certain point fo view.........it's almost gone the age that for graphic artist is only or mainly APPLE/MAC the main tool....., I can compare Austria (few friends there), Czech republic and Slovakia,............ to be honest...... I can count animation and postprodcution studios using apple comps (avid, final cut) on ONE HAND, all others....... SGI (they are almost gone, but few big studios using FLAME or INFERNO), and PC is overtaking ALL OF THEM.....

maybe more apple comps are in freelancers area....... but true is that in my 14 years work with sgi's, mac's and pcs, macs were maybe 1/15 to 1/20 off all machines I ever saw in production studios or which uses frealancers..

Marek

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I can't stop laughing.... how can anyone say this is anything but positive news for HD DVD? The Apple/Pixar/Disney ties are obvious and you cannot discount previous comments by Bob Iger and the influence of Steve Jobs (Apple, Pixar).

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I don't think Apple ever stated that they will not provide support for HD-DVD in their OS. It would be rather silly for an OS to not provide support for all hardware available. I know Microsoft has for now only included native HD-DVD support in Vista, but then they have also stated that Blu-Ray support may be included later. Who wants to bet the Vista SP1 will do exactly that. As for Apple breaking from the alliance, if and and only if Apple actually decides to include HD-DVD drives in their MACs is when you can claim that Apple has broken from the alliance.

PS: Upon cross checking, Windows Vista does NOT have native support for either of the two formats.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
STANDARDS, not Macs themselves.

USB, Firewire, Superdrive, LCD, STYLE etc. Apple sets standards in terms of innovation.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Aaron, I also left a link where it was.
But a thread can only *be* at 1 place. :)

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's a pretty big move no noubt. Apple is no dummy...I'm sure they have looked at sales figures since April and realize there might be $$ to be made and the way to do that is by getting hardware into our hands.

Whether or not you support HD-DVD or Blu-Ray...or both...this IS positive for the HD-DVD format. Doesn't hurt Blu-Ray but does help HD-DVD.

:)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

Exactly. It's no coincidence that Disney is the first studio to offer movie downloads over the iTunes Store. Not only does Jobs sit on Disney's board, he is part of a 6-man steering committee which oversees the combined Disney-Pixar animation business. His influence at Disney is significant.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
They've had HD DVD support written in their manual of DVD Studio Pro for well over a year now. Never seen anyone use it, but it was always there. No mention of Blu-ray. Of course it could be refering to something else, it isn't exactly the best manual.

Either way, I see this as being no different than MS having both HD DVD and Blu-ray support in Vista. Leaves all options open. If I was basing everything on what has been going on over the past couple months, I would probably put my money on HD DVD too. But the war is going to get flipped on its head come Nov 17th. :)

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

He's not just a shareholder, he's a member of the Board of Directors and one sixth of the steering comittee. I'm pretty sure if Jobs made the decision that Disney/Pixar should embrace HD DVD that Disney Pixar would embrace HD DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale