What's new

Apple "Special Event" Day May 7, 2024 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It matters to millions of us already… I get that there’s a sizable chunk of tech savvy people who want macOS on iPad but that’s not everyone.
Don’t need macOS. Do need more than just video editing and drawing applications on an m4 computer.

Peter Keller

Agent
Real Name
Peter

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Don’t need macOS. Do need more than just video editing and drawing applications on an m4 computer.
Audio and video editing are the most data intense apps out there. There’s also ai sythesis and plenty of other HPC apps out there. Other than programming on device and aaa games I don’t know what more you need.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Audio and video editing are the most data intense apps out there. There’s also ai sythesis and plenty of other HPC apps out there. Other than programming on device and aaa games I don’t know what more you need.
Need a good modern file browser, is obvious, top of list. Mail doesn’t have VIP lists. Calendar hasn’t been updated / improved since inception. Can’t change default apps. Would kill to get palm / touch rejection on the magic keyboard trackpad! Keyboard shortcuts don’t work consistently. iPad Safari still not fully “desktop” and continues to struggle with corporate sites. The list of simple basic productivity hindrances goes on…

You’re thinking feeds and speeds and moar power. But the A14 in my iPad Air is more than fast enough. I need more capable macOS and software to go with that.

For the 25 people who produce movies on an iPad these new m4 are brilliant. For people like me who have generalist needs, iPadOS lags hardware on being a computer for doing normal stuff.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I will buy a new iPad Air* because an m2 with its more RAM and support for Stage Manager should reduce some of my productivity pain compared to an A14 iPad. But I’ll still be hindered by file browser, Mail, Calendar, and the Magic Keyboard‘s meh trackpad software.

* eventually but postponed due to NZ8 purchase :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I only use my iPad as a media consumption device, and then only when I travel so I don’t really care if my iPad runs iPadOS or macOS, as long as it runs it well enough that my streaming apps don’t crash.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There’s a new review of the iPad Pro M4 and it found battery life is much longer then advertised. I have not read the entire review yet, I jumped to the end where it discussed battery life. I think someone in this thread was disappointed by the battery life spec. It seems it might have been conservative.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just watched ijustine unboxing the silver and black iPad Pro 13” and Apple Pencil Pro and keyboards. I know not everyone likes her “act”, but I found it informative to see the unboxing and how the Pencil Pro pairs and how the new keyboard is looking. Also she has the nano glass and standard glass shown in action. I disagree with her enthusiasm for the nano glass. She failed to understand that while the nano is great for bright situations where glare is a problem, the standard glass is importantly for me for the best image quality. So how you use it will determine the glass type.

I’ll check out Tyler’s video above.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I’m tired of hearing apologies that smell of Stockholm syndrome from iPad users who want to invalidate these opinions and claim that everything is perfect. I’m tired of seeing this cycle start over every two years, with fantastic iPad hardware and the usual (justified), “But it’s the software…” line at the end. I’m tired of feeling like my computer is a second-class citizen in Apple’s ecosystem. I’m tired of being told that iPads are perfectly fine if you use Final Cut and Logic, but if you don’t use those apps and ask for more desktop-class features, you’re a weirdo, and you should just get a Mac and shut up. And I’m tired of seeing the best computer Apple ever made not live up to its potential.

When asked what an iPad can’t do that is iPadOS limited, the simple answer is that it can’t be a complete computer. I have to have it and an iMac.

I don’t use laptops — haven’t in over a decade now. Don’t use them for work. And an iMac makes more sense for a home computer. But I‘ve been using an iPad with keyboard case for several years now. I rely on it for around the house and especially on travel.

The iPad is my “laptop”.

The weakness with the iPad is that it’s not a true “laptop”. An actual laptop you can use as your sole computer. Do computer stuff on the go with its 14” screen. Plug it into a 27” monitor and do more computer stuff at home.

But I can’t use an iPad as my sole computer. I also need an actual computer. On an iPad I can’t do finances. I can’t have a Finder with 10 tabs open to various folders that I frequently use. Mail and Photos, at the least, are missing features on the iPad I use on my iMac for basic household stuff. I can’t plug my iPad into a big monitor and use it clamshell mode as a complete computer solution like with a laptop. And there are some misc professional engineering tools I’d like to use that are only available on macOS.

But, a laptop can’t run streaming apps or download shows to watch on the go. I can’t tear off the screen to browse in bed.

What I want is for Apple to fulfill the promise made circa 2017: the iPad was a new, better computer.

What we have is great and I will likely buy a new iPad Air this winter. But it’s clear to me that Apple got lost and doens’t know what the iPad is supposed to be and/or they never figured out how to make it what they wanted and/or their are warring factions within Apple leading this this schizophrenic development of half easy and half-baked “pro” features that never lead to a complete robust solution.

No one really wants macOS on the iPad. What we want is the next step in computing, the the improved OS to follow macOS, the promise of iPadOS from 2017.

Instead we’ve got an improved but never completed iPadOS and now this new venture into VisionOS that currently promises the same half-baked, half amazing, half-abandoned, partial solution that the iPad has been experiencing for nearly 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks