What's new

Apple and PC: the discussion continues. (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you tell me why I should be on a PC instead of a Mac?
Greater software selection, greater compatibility with more computers mainly. Not tied down to one company who needs to control both the computer hardware and operating system. Competitive prices.

For the common user, that should be enough.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Amen!
My friend spent $5000 on a G4 when they came out
I built myself a more powerful and versitile PC for $1200 of equal specs
You do the math ;)

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Steve,
Reasons have been given for a PC over a Mac, how about coming back with an answer to the original question?

As an FYI, my brother has been a die-hard Mac fan since the early 80s, and still loves Apple, yet continues to find himself working more and more on Linux now. He is definitely in the ABM (Anyone But Microsoft) camp, and Linux is at least enabling him to satisfy his customer requirements that the Mac has not been able to accomplish...

Anyway, Steve, fire away!!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Reasons have been given for a PC over a Mac, how about coming back with an answer to the original question?
A few:
•Nobody does multimedia better than Apple. Find me Windoze programs that match FCP and DVDSP in their robust features AND ease of use and I'll sell you my property in Tahiti.
•More secure networking software
•More reliable hardware
•Viruses? What viruses?
•Way ahead of the curve in adopting important emerging technologies. Past examples include FireWire and wireless networking.
And for anyone that bitches about the dock in OS X, have you ever thought to HIDE it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, I haven't used a Mac in five years or so, but I found it incredibly difficult to use ...
Jason, don't make this one so easy, fella! :)
Okay, this is like religion!
From an aesthetic, logical, overall layout, Apple's Macintosh platform sits well with me. I work with him, he works with me. Everything falls into place.
Here's one way of putting it: With a PC, I just try to do what I have to do, and get it overwith. What fun I have with it will only be due to the Internet itself. A PC, for me, is nothing more than a means to an end.
With Apple's Macintosh platform, however, I even enjoy booting up the system. I like how the thing works. I play around with the computer itself.
Why? Because Macintosh is fun. And it's convenient and laid out the way I like it. If problems arise, I can figure out the solutions for myself most of the time. With a PC, I get a glazed-eye effect; I know it's a marvel of technology too, but I just don't care.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Macs are used by people of superior intelligence and good looks. Enough said. :D
- Steve

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
The complaints about the OS X dock are valid. Why did Apple take all the research they pioneered in UI and throw it away when they developed Aqua?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The complaints about the OS X dock are valid. Why did Apple take all the research they pioneered in UI and throw it away when they developed Aqua?
Apple asked for customer response on OS X.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Many of those features requested are being added in 10.2. "Spring loaded folders" is a prime example of this. Others have already been added since that time.
If you don't like the dock then tell them. You are also free to use launch bar, drag thing, or countless other utilities instead of or in addition to the dock. I do.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I have no idea how you people survive without the right mouse button.
Out of sight, out of mind. Learned to use computers without one.
Macs have a similar function using the CTRL key, by the way (requires use of the other hand, yes, so not a perfect replacement).
I own a Mac. I use Windows machines almost everywhere other than home, which is fine with me. I prefer the organization of the Mac OS. When I use a Windows machine, it seems I have to jump through more hoops to do something similar. I can understand, however, that some of the things I don't like about Windows machines are things that appeal to other consumers. I've known a lot of people who like to trick out a PC or build machines to their own specifications, which is a great idea, but not something I want to do. I really liked, for instance, being able to get a cable router that doesn't even claim support for Macs and having it running in less than ten minutes. I've never encountered an easy hardware install for Windows. The networking settings I've seen on the PCs at work make far less sense to me, but I know someone is enjoying them. :)
I do have to agree with the comments about Apple having poor support for DVD related technologies. The PowerBook I have can only use an older version of the Apple DVD player, which is rather weak feature-wise. It won't even take advantage of the 16x9 video - the player I have automatically formats for 4:3 and downconverts the resolution.
But I still like Apple's commitment to multimedia technologies. Since my home computer is a tool for me to be creative, I've always been interested in what they develop. I was really happy to see Apple pushing the capability to make DVDs. Sure, there are a few good PC applications and a growing number of burners available for Windows machines, but was anyone really growing public awareness of such things other than Apple?
Sure, I am never going to have the machine that's most popular with the general public, but that's fine with me. I didn't buy any Limp Bizkit CDs or go to see The Mummy Returns either, which must be my loss if the general public's taste is the best indicator. ;)
Oh, about those commercials. They're nothing special, but not as cringeworthy as the Jeff Goldblum ads. :D

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I don't really have an opinion about the commercials, but I do find it funny that people thing OS X is something new or revolutionary since it's basically a port of Jobs' old NeXTSTEP OS from about 10 years ago. It's the same kernel, same UI, same applications, same *everything*. Don't get me wrong, I've actually considered buying a Mac simply because of OS X and the fact that it's really Unix, but it's definitely nothing new. He failed getting it adopted on Intel platforms (OpenStep, anyone ?) and just took it to the logical conclusion.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
For Christ's sake, it is NOT UNIX - it is FreeBSD.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, back to the discussion.
I like my Linux, and my Win2K box for things that aren't on the Linux box yet. And, oh yeah, i use my Linux box to play with, my Windows box to work with, and the Mac in my college's lab to surf the net with. (Cos they have 22" screens and i can use 1600x1200!! :p)
PS: The point about not being a good HTPC are true. Hell, i don't evn understand what's the big deal with the people claiming the sound on Macs is better?? :confused:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
•Way ahead of the curve in adopting important emerging technologies. Past examples include FireWire and wireless networking.
PC wireless networking is based on a standard, so ALL wireless devices can connect (Bluetooth) instead of just a proprietary one.
Apple's DV drivers have had quite a bit of compatibility problems with later model DV cameras, especially the 2000-2001 models. Again, early adoption is good till everyone else standardizes on a different spec (DVD-RAM anyone?)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Hell, i don't evn understand what's the big deal with the people claiming the sound on Macs is better??
Maybe it's because they got so feed up with the Audiophile 2496 not working with so many system configs, that they just decided to use it in their Mac since it works without a hitch. :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
There seems to be plenty of reasons for proefessional musicians, sound technicians and graphics artists/editors to use Macs.

These ads, seem geared towards home users. What benefit (except no viruses, something that you can avoid if you use a $30 Anti-virus program, or don't use MS e-mail products) is there for a casual home user to have a Mac?

The "Top 10 reasons to switch" list on their website is ridiculous, and seems like it was written about Windows 3.1 or something. Plus, they confuse PC's with MS, there are many people running Linux on PC's today.

/Mike

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
I've come full circle. I owned PC's for 14 years, and then switched to Mac in 1999. I owned 2 macs (including currently a G4/400 PowerMac) over the course of that time.

The switch from Windows 98 to Mac OS 8.6 was incredible. Outside of some stability issues, I loved that OS and loved Mac. Then along trudged Mac OS X, just in time to send me looking for another computer. I currently run an OS X machine for some eggdrop bots and odds and ends, but my main system is a Windows XP 1.6ghz. That machine with Outlook, Microsoft Money, and my Pocket PC runs circles around any functionality that I am able to attain from OS X. Maybe eventually Apple will give me a reason to switch over yet again, but for now, I'm back to Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks