What's new

AOTC & LOTR:EE/SE store price reports (threads merged) (1 Viewer)

Mazinger_Z

Auditioning
AOTC 9.99 w/ TRU ad at Wala-Mart--they didn't even put up a fight. In fact they even had the ad at the register!

Gregory E

Second Unit
I just got mine at Toys-R-Us as well. Just a note...they probably had more copies than you people think. They only had 3 copies of the widescreen DVD on display when I got there. When I asked about it, they said they had PLENTY more in the back. Something like 600 copies total.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
All is good now. I went to Wal-Mart at midnight and got them to price match the TRU ad for $9.99. Even though Best Buy told me yesterday that I had to choose between a TRU price match for the DVD and the free calendar, I decided to go to BB today to see for myself. I went to BB and bought the DVD at BB’s regular price and received the free calendar. I immediately went up to the customer service desk and asked for a price match. The CSR was a newbie and asked for instructions from a more experienced rep. Got the DVD for $9.99 along with the free calendar, no hassle. Now I will return the other DVD to Wal-Mart. All is good. Wait a minute. Didn’t someone mention a price match + 10% reduction at BB? :D

Jimmy Wong

Grip
Wanted 3 copies, so I was gonna do the Wal-Mart PM at 12:15 am. I pass by a TRU on the way home, so I stopped to pick up a couple of more ads, just in case. Well, I decided to pre-order it and was able to pre-order all three copies. Stopped by TRU on the way to work. Noticed lines of 30 deep waiting for the register. Walked to the customer service desk. Paid the balance on 3 pre-orders (only taxed on 4.99 - 10.40 per copy!) and was out the door in 5 minutes. This was by far much less hassle than I thought it was going to be. SWEEEET!

BTW, some Wal-Mart in Houston are pricing AOTC at 9.99 anyway, but it was better to be safe than sorry ....

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The local Wal-Mart in Whitehall, PA didn't even have an AOTC *display* set up this morning at 11:30AM!!! The only copies they had were on a shelf behind locked glass doors with NO price listed anywhere. Same thing for LOTR:EE - sitting on a shelf with no price. There were a few LOTR Gift Sets sitting on the floor next to an empty cardboard box, again with no price visible anywhere. The salesperson I asked said that she wasn't aware of any other locations in the store where there might be a display for the AOTC set up. I think the audio/video department manager screwed the pooch on this one!

Anyway, I decided to pass on the purchase at Wally-World and went to BB. $15.99 for AOTC with free calendar, $24.99 for LOTR:EE with free ticket to TTT ($8.00 at my favorite theater) plus the $5 mail-in rebate from the original LOTR release, new Pearl Jam for $11.99. Walked out the door for $53 + tax - $8 (ticket) - $5 (LOTR rebate) = $40 + tax for the whole she-bang. Not the best deal, but I'm OK with that.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Wal-Mart doesn't do a "Blanket" sale-pricing; it's up to competition in the local area.
In my case, it helps that the particular store -- in Kingstowne Town Center in Fairfax County -- is three miles from a Best Buy and a Target. And it's next door to a Toys R US. The amount of competition means they are always beating the lowest advertised price. In fact, the display read something like "Proof that we have the lowest price" and stapled the ads to the bottom. :emoji_thumbsup:

ChristopherS

Second Unit
At FutureShop this morning I purchased AOTC for $25.99 CDN and the Gift Edition of Fellowship of the Ring for $77.99 CDN. The four-disk edition of the Fellowship of the Ring was priced at $39.99 but it may ring up differently at the cash register.

I almost forgot to mention that I had to ask for the Gift Box as it was not out on display. The clerk mentioned they had very few copies left when she went to get mine and I was in the store at 10:15 a.m. (FutureShop opens at 10 a.m.)

Chris

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I rarely shop at WalMart and last night/this morning did nothing to change that attitude. I went to the local SuperCenter at midnight with TRU ad in hand. They refused to price match because they couldn't call to confirm that TRU had Episode II in-stock. I tried to explain that since TRU hadn't opened yet, it was highly unlikely they had already sold out, but the clerk and the Asst. Manager on duty both insisted I'd have to come back in the morning after TRU opened so that they'd be able to call the store.

I went to my local TRU at 9:15 this morning instead and bought AOTC there. I'll be sure to give TRU some of my Xmas shopping as thanks. I'll continue to ignore Wally World.

My local Walmart has just undercut TRU, they have priced Star Wars AOTC for $9.48. I believe all Walmarts price their dvds according to competition in their area, so you might want to call first.
Thanks,
Frank :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've decided to just merge threads on sale price reports for both AOTC and LOTR into one thread to cut down on tons of store reports on these 2 big title releases.

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
I stopped by a walmart today and their price was 14.xx. I didn't have the add because there wasn't one with the paper this weekend so I went over to TrU and grabbed it for $9.99. It was another 5 miles down the road but I'd rather give my business to the guy who has the lowest price than someone who will just match or barely beat someone elses price. On top of that, I generally try to stay away from walmart because they do absolutely nothing for the communities they're in. I was a little shocked to hear that they don't even bank in the towns they have stores in. All their money gets shipped to one location.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
My Best Buy in Union City, CA would price match. They're reasoning was that they would have to call TRU, and see if they had copies in stock to warrant teh $9.99 price.

So I just bought AOTC (WIDESCREEN), the free calendar and LOTR:EE.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Here's my (actually, my wife's) boring AOTC field trip:
My wife went to TRU to go by AOTC; like others have noted, they're "hiding" the WS copies--my wife had to ask for one, whereas they had plenty of FS copies in plain view.
After TRU she went to Best Buy to see if she can get them to price match and still include the free calendar offer; she picks up both movie and calendar, then goes over to the return/exchange desk and asks the clerk to price match +10% like it says on the big board. Clerk tells her that she can do the price match but can't initially do the 10% since it applies only after you had paid the original price on the item. IOW--essentially what you were expected to do in order to get the full 110% guarantee was to pay the $15.99 for AOTC, leave, then come back later with the ad telling them that you found it for a lower price; only then will they do the price match and give you the additional 10%. Can you believe that? Yeah, BB is within their rights to do that but still--that is so lame. All one would have to do to get around that is to go to the return line, pay the $15.99, then immediately pull out the ad and tell the clerk to price match 110%; the only difference would be that you wouldn't have to walk out the door immediately after paying the original price.
Oh well...at least I was able to get BB to at least price match and still get the calendar...not that the calendar was a deal-breaker or anything like that.:D

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I went to Best Buy today and got Episode II for $9.99 by price matching with Toys R Us.
I didn't have the ad and they were already aware of the sale price.

Rodon

Second Unit
I got Best Buy to match the $9.99 price and got the free calendar.

Think I will go back and pick up the LOTR 4 disc set and another AOTC for a friend.

Makes for a nice cheap Christmas present.

Eric_P

Grip
I picked up two copies of AOTC at TRU in Redwood City,CA this morning.. seemed like they had plenty of WS and FS copies..

There is one display right when you walk in, but there is another one next to the Video Game/DVD section on the other side of the store which had a boatload just sitting there.

And then headed over the BB to get LOTREE. With the free movie ticket, and to watch a movie costs $9 here in the Bay Area.. this is an awesome deal!!

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I know about the threads.
I have heard that a lot of people are having problems getting Best Buy to price match.
Just wanted to say that people near Atlanta shouldn't have this problem.

Scott Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah , here in Athens, GA Best Buy rocks!! Of course Toys R Us only had Pan & Scam. Luckily BB was right next door. Not only did they honor the coupon, but there was no restriction on how many you could buy (got mine and a couple for friends). I don't know why I bother with other stores around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks