What's new

Anyone upgrade from SVS subs from 20 years ago? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I built a HT room in the basement with 120 inch screen and have a 7.2.6 system with 2 SVS 25-31 CS+/1000watt Sampson amp. It's about a 14x18 room.

Well, I need to upgrade my subs and was looking to buy 2 PB3000's. I could do 2 PC4000s but I think the 3000s will be better suited size wise as they will not get in the way. The 4000 PB and PB16 is out of the question.

Has anyone gone from the older cylinders to there recent stuff? Is it a noticable difference? I would guess the amplifiers and newer drivers would pack a bigger punch. I just do not want to feel underwhelmed if the 3000s are not a significant upgrade. Thanks

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
I built a HT room in the basement with 120 inch screen and have a 7.2.6 system with 2 SVS 25-31 CS+/1000watt Sampson amp. It's about a 14x18 room.

Well, I need to upgrade my subs and was looking to buy 2 PB3000's. I could do 2 PC4000s but I think the 3000s will be better suited size wise as they will not get in the way. The 4000 PB and PB16 is out of the question.

Has anyone gone from the older cylinders to there recent stuff? Is it a noticeable difference? I would guess the amplifiers and newer drivers would pack a bigger punch. I just do not want to feel underwhelmed if the 3000s are not a significant upgrade. Thanks
I upgraded from a single 20-39 PC Plus to dual SB3000 and as you might imagine, going from a single 525-watt sub to dual 800-watt subs is night and day. I am afraid however that my impressions do you no good at all.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, in a 14x18 room, I think dual PB3000s might even be overkill. I'd think a single PB 3000 would be more than adequate. It should be a definite step up from the 25-31 which, as I recall, was the smallest, highest tuned cylinder sub.

You might consider the new PB2000 Pro.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem was SVS said that two current PB2000 pros wouldn't be a huge upgrade. More cleaner sounding with more headroom. I was originally going to go with 2 PC2000s but I would like to see at least an increase in what I have now. I heard some great things with the PB3000s and I always like to get subwoofers in pairs.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The only problem was SVS said that two current PB2000 pros wouldn't be a huge upgrade. More cleaner sounding with more headroom. I was originally going to go with 2 PC2000s but I would like to see at least an increase in what I have now. I heard some great things with the PB3000s and I always like to get subwoofers in pairs.
It will be a definite upgrade to go with the PB3000, especially in terms of how low they can go. Dual subs is absolutely the best way to go for in-room response, though you might have to play with positioning to get optimal results.

Are you not a fan of sealed subs?

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I have been going ported since my car audio days. I used to have 2 15inch Brahmas with 3000watts in back of my Jeep many many years ago. I am 100% movies. Very rarely do I do music at home. I like the low frequencies. I have built home subs with Tempests and Shivas but it never came close to a SVS.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Honestly, in a 14x18 room, I think dual PB3000s might even be overkill. I'd think a single PB 3000 would be more than adequate. It should be a definite step up from the 25-31 which, as I recall, was the smallest, highest tuned cylinder sub.

You might consider the new PB2000 Pro.

Honestly, I disagree. My room dimensions are 16 x 13.5 and the dual SB3000 blends beautifully with music and movies. I have all the headroom I will ever need without pushing my subs, and I have plenty of punch and depth. I also eliminated the isolated sound from a single sub and mostly eliminated dead spots, or nulls if you prefer. My space is about to get larger, which is partly why I went duals, knowing that I needed to add more pressure for the expanded room. But, for the here and now, in my 16 x 13.5, I couldn't be happier.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s fine. Please, everyone forgive me for posing options. Just tossing out things to consider.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I have been going ported since my car audio days. I used to have 2 15inch Brahmas with 3000watts in back of my Jeep many many years ago. I am 100% movies. Very rarely do I do music at home. I like the low frequencies. I have built home subs with Tempests and Shivas but it never came close to a SVS.
There's a common misconception that ported subs play lower than sealed. That's actually not the case all the time - so I'd base it more on your preferences. My sealed subs play plenty deep, but they have a slightly better impulse response which is a good thing.

That’s fine. Please, everyone forgive me for posing options. Just tossing out things to consider.
Nothing to apologize for John, I think your point is well made for the majority of home theater owners. Certainly, if the choice comes down to a far more capable single sub or dual less capable subs, your argument holds a lot of weight. It's just that he already had dual subs and in his case, I think there's no reason to go back to a single.

Anyone who wants to enjoy dual subs can also now do it on the cheap using a MiniDSP.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
These types of discussions are much easier if the numbers are shown as cubic FT. My room is a little larger than yours (21.4 x 18.4 X 8) or 3150 Cubic Ft. Assuming your ceiling is also 8 FT then your room will be about 2160 cubic FT based on my math.

I've had the venerable SVS PB12 Plus/2 since 2007 and it has NEVER disappointed where sheer muscle is concerned. On the contrary, I usually have to dial it back considerably, especially with music since I like it loud and enveloping. Movies generally demand much less overall muscle from your sub but, when it's needed, it must be there to spare, especially at the uber low levels some modern films exploit.

Concerning SVS, I'll say this. I had a problem with my sub maybe 6 months ago. I called SVS and asked them if they felt it was just time to upgrade to one of their newer models. I was ready to write the check but SVS told me my current sub was fine and even sent me the info I needed to repair it. How many companies will do that?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've had the venerable SVS PB12 Plus/2 since 2007 and it has NEVER disappointed where sheer muscle is concerned. On the contrary, I usually have to dial it back considerably, especially with music since I like it loud and enveloping. Movies generally demand much less overall muscle from your sub but, when it's needed, it must be there to spare, especially at the uber low levels some modern films exploit.
My SVS PB12 Plus/2 is so stinking awesome, I hesitate to try to improve on it. I know it will eventually die, and that there are other models which can outperform it, and especially that will maintain better control when pushed to the limit, but which ones and at what cost?

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
So I pulled the trigger on 2 PB3000's. Do you think putting the 2 CS+ in the back of the room and running all 4 would be a better option then just replacing them. I notice a substantial increase in just freq response adding two so what about 4? I am only hesitant because of the different models but I guess I have nothing to lose trying it out.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Congrats on the new subs, I am greatly enjoying mine. As far as the different models go, I think the key is to get the calibration done well. You'll want to make adjustments then measure and listen closely and then make your adjustments so on and so forth. I forget the specs on the CS+, but assuming there is a wattage difference on the amplification, be sure not to overdrive the CS, although with 4 subs, I sort of doubt that will be an issue. Placement is the other key, but you probably know all about those challenges. Enjoy.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'm getting close to upgrading from my SVS PB12+/2. It's a great sub, but I'm looking for more ULF performance. Lots of good choices out there, it's difficult to zero in on a choice. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
PowerSound has gotten pretty expensive. I’m liking the Rythmik sealed dual 15.

Do you have a price range?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Initially I was thinking $2500, but I may go as much as $3500. I really like what people have been saying about the PSA TV36ipal. But, I've also been looking at JTR products. Normally I wouldn't shop for a sub in this price range, but I've had a good couple of years at work and have been able to put aside enough to splurge a little. I've always wanted a high end sub. It's not like the PB12+/2 is a slouch, but it wasn't top of the line from SVS, and after hearing a couple of different theaters with Seaton Submersives there's a sound quality I feel I'm lacking. Now, I haven't heard either of these company's subs in person yet so I'm going off customer's words right now. I'm actually going to be able to hear a couple of Rythmiks soon as there a couple of local guys who have them.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a ripe territory. Lot's of high quality stuff to choose from. Opposing driver models have a certain appeal, especially from the physics involved. Pretty much all the brands offer those. I'm not sure how that would work in my room, so I was looking at the F25, I think it is, from Rythmik. In your budget, you could get two of those. It doesn't have massive power, but I think some of those might be a little overboard in the power area. It has a smaller footprint, so placement is a little easier.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
What are the benefits to a dual opposed design, besides the pressure reduction on the cabinet? I don't know much about these.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's kind of it. With a sealed cabinet there's significant internal pressure, but the vibrations of the opposing drivers cancel each other out to some degree.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now I see that Rythmik appears to have discontinued the F25. I was thinking this might be the year I finally upgrade my PB12 Plus2, and that was the front runner. Damn. I think I'll have to go with an opposing driver model.

PowerSound has gotten less interesting to me as their prices have skyrocketed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks